erosion control needed...

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Steeler_Fan, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Steeler_Fan

Steeler_Fan Well-Known Member

We have a ditch/easement that runs between my house and my neighbors; it was not installed correct the first time by the builder, so now it starting to wash away and the sides are falling in. The builder is long gone and the town of Clayton says they won’t do anything about it.

I have called about 14 places so far, from landscapers to major companies that do erosion control. The problem is the major company’s only do commercial work, and most of the landscapers cannot take the job as it too big of job.

The ditch/easement is about 200 feet and about 8 feet wide. One commercial place I talked with said they could do it and the price was not bad, but they could not do it until they are slow, which they said would sometimes in Feb of 2010. I don’t want to wait that long. They would need to bring in some equipment to straighten out and make the ditch/easement deeper, and then install riprap I guess on the sides, and bring in some rocks for some of the areas as well seed or sod the sides.

Anyone know of a company that could do this work? Ugh owning a home sucks sometimes. If it not one thing it another. :banghead:

2. NY9

NY9 Well-Known Member

Just curious, what is a good price. The riprap is gonna run about $3000 for that area assuming just the side slopes. Although the riprap is the best option, there are cheaper alternatives.

3. seabee

seabee Guest

Maybe I know... but a conflict of interest with your type... not sure I would do anything for a squeeler fan... :jester::jester:

4. Steeler_Fan

The quote I have from the commercial company was around $4300, they also gave me a quote to just run a pipe for my area and then cover it with dirt, put some drains in. Don't know the exact details as I don't have the quote in front of me, but that was around 6000 much more than I want to spend. I am going to be selling the house very soon, it one of those things I have to get fixed, but don't want to break the bank doing so.

5. Steeler_Fan

Browns are you team right? Do I need to say anything else? :jester:

6. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

PM'ed you ;)

7. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

200 ft x 8 ft = 1600 square feet. 500 sq ft / pallet x 90$ per pallet. 1600/500 = 3.2 pallets of sod x 90$ = 288$ + whatever labor is involved. I can find someone to install it for you. 369.7961

8. NY9

NY9 Well-Known Member

You may want to do some research to see if this is a recognized drainage easement. The town or state may be responsible for any maintenance required since this is outletting stormwater runoff. Where/what does the water outlet into when it leaves your property?

I want to say that the town or state would be responsible for accepting the roads and any drainage easements (since this would control runoff from their roads) within your subdivision. If they accepted the easement, they need to maintain its functionality.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  9. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

Who are the Browns?

10. Steeler_Fan

Several people from the town of Clayton operations I have been in contact with and a few have been out to the house, the last time I spoke with the town engineer I was told it the home owner responsibility. I don’t agree, but it getting to the point where it little bit too close to my house and I am starting to worry about it, same with the neighbor on the other side of me.
    The drainage easement runs from the street above me in between about 15 other home back yards, then it reaches my property, then goes under the road, and then it open again on the other side then runs under another road, and nothing from what I can see on the other side, so it underground pipe I would guess either runs into a big field down the road not really sure where it goes. Keep in mind, when the guys from town of Clayton looked at it, they walked the drainage easement all the way up to the next road and said it needs to be fixed all the way up. Most of my neighbors don’t care, because it way in their back yards and mostly covered by weeds or fence. Anyone else you suggest I could contact?

Thanks

11. AnnetteL

My husband knows the guy in charge of the Water/Sewer/Stormpipe Dept.(I think his name is Chris Rowland) in Clayton and is familiar with their regulations,
    Just give him a call,I pm'ed you his mobile number.

12. seabee

seabee Guest

He's an Inspector for the town...

13. AnnetteL

Husband used to work for his dad for many years ;)

14. NY9

NY9 Well-Known Member

You are responsible for routine maintenance which this is not since the volume/velocity of water is eroding the ditchline. I would call the town engineer back and let him know you will be contacting the Division of Environmental and Natural Resources and the US Army Corp of Engineers to let them know that stormwater runoff in a recognized drainage easement is causing sediment loss/water pollution. Either the town will be out doing the work very quickly or you can call the agencies.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  15. seabee

seabee Guest

If there isn't any storm drainpipe thru there chances are its not a dedicated easement... If DENR comes out and finds a problem with it they could go after the owner if its violating their rules... Be careful of who you call.

16. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

Depending on the easement, it might be a developer issue and not a builder issue. If the recorded plat shows a drainage easement on the lot in question, then it is a developer issue. They would be the ones who would need to be called.

CoE will not get involved since this is not a jurisdictional wetlands issue.

DENR most likely will not get involved unless the stormwater runoff is getting into any local stream. If its just flowing down a property line and into a roadside ditch and then carried off wherever, DENR will more than likely tell you to contact the developer and have them fix the ditch.

The town probably will not get involved unless the water is not draining and causing what is known as "ponding" and causing a health hazard.

But...you can try.

17. NY9

NY9 Well-Known Member

I dont think thats true. Im thinking of it like this, the town approved the hydraulic design and the necessary easements that go with it. Im pretty sure easements cover ditchlines since this is part of the whole system to outlet the water. DENR wouldnt go after you especially since youre trying to fix the problem. The town is most likely, 99% sure, responsible for keeping the ditch functional, ie, making sure it outlets the necessary volume in an acceptable(clean) manner.

18. NY9

NY9 Well-Known Member

There has to be a wetland somewhere along the route.

19. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

Drainage easements do not necessarily cover roadside ditches. They direct the water to them, sure, but rarely is there an easement around the ditch itself. Now many times there is a blanket drainage, utility and maintenance easement that is reserved 10' outside of the right-of-way but most cases the ditch is located either entirely in the right-of-way or just outside of it, to which the blanket easement is covering it.

However, there have been many subdivisions in the past that have been recorded without blanket easements as mentioned above. The county now requires it on all new subdivisions. The Town necessarily does not.

20. seabee

seabee Guest

you do a lot of assuming with minimal info...