Estate/Will question....

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by God'schild, May 4, 2010.

1. God'schild

God'schild Well-Known Member

My mother's estate looks to be about settled. Why in the *&*^^* it took so long to start with is BEYOND me. I know it takes time and all but it wasn't alot. It seems PA likes to drag it's feet. Well we finally found that "the will and the tax return have been accepted". The attorney says he has to do some more paperwork and that 'll be it. So how long will "it" be? Any ideas. My mom passed last June and my brother is the executor. It's just him and me. It's not so much as wanting to be over as it is for he and I to have closure. Any ideas! Thanks in advance!

2. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

I think that if your brother will bug the crap out of the lawyer he will get off his duff and get you what you need.

3. Oy Vayayay

Oy Vayayay Well-Known Member

My experience is that lawyers will drag their feet for months and months, and if you call them, they will charge you a consultation fee each time.

4. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Send a PM to KDs. She will either know why or try to Google and find out. She may not answer right away as she's very busy.

Sherry

5. Crysta

Crysta Guest

I'm guessing that the estate was below the level for needed a federal estate tax return but above the level for PA (which is common). Just be warned that PA has a policy to audit pretty much every single estate tax return, so make sure you guys have the necessary documentation to support the return. Because if PA is not happy that the tax was paid at the estate level, they will send assessments directly to the beneficiaries.

6. God'schild

God'schild Well-Known Member

Thanks to all! I am thinking that all the "numbers" were already done since the tax return was filed. My mom was not a rich woman by any stretch, but you'd think she had MILLIONS for as long as it is taking. PA has an inheritance tax which has all been taken care of too I believe.

Oh well, thanks to all! I will try to get up with KDS later! :cheers: