Exhaust

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Rockyv58, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Sorry to keep asking for peoples input but hopefully this will be the last one for a while.
    My little Isuzu will not pass inspection due to some minor holes in the exhaust system. It is original to the vehicle. So it is over 12 years old and pretty rusty. Pep Boys suggested taking it over to the Meineke over on South Saunders and that they may be able to spot weld the holes.

The guy went outside and looked under my vehicle and said he wouldn't be able to spot weld it. But it would cost 150.00-200.00 to replace it. I couldn't get it done right then. I then took it to Monro over at the BJ's. They put it up on the lift and gave me a quote of about 350.00 to replace it and that was out the door price. I am going to call Meineke back to see if their price was out the door or just the price of the muffler and pipe.

My questions are
    A. Why such a large discrepancy in prices? (I am just guessing Meineke gave me the price of the muffler and pipes, minus labor)
    B. Can anyone suggest a reasonable place for a muffler and exhaust pipes?

Thanks

Bob

2. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

I don't know how cheap he will be, but I have used RJ's on Capital for my rides. Great guys.
    http://www.rjscustompiping.com/

3. nr4042

nr4042 Member

Shirley's Muffler Shop @ 808 S Pollock St in Selma has done some work for me. quick and cheap, they were a fraction of the cost that other mechanic quoted me.

4. siameselover

siameselover Well-Known Member

i second that. they got our truck fixed and passed inspection

5. Quincy8Boy

Quincy8Boy Well-Known Member

Hell, if I didn't want to change the muffler, I'd try some JB Weld or Liquid Steel on it.

6. Rockyv58

I'm done with College later on today. So Monday I can start working on getting my muffler replaced. Do you know what kind of warranty/guaranty they have on their exhaust systems?

Thanks

Bob V.

7. Rockyv58

I want to thank you all for recommending them. Went in earlier today to get a price quote and ended up getting the exhaust done by them. Cost me a whole 173.40, which was a 179.00 saving over what Monro wanted to charge. They even went and bent the pip so it came out of the side instead of straight back. This way my legs wont get all hot if I have to open the back while the engine is running. Even had a chrome tip put on just to make it look purdy.

They gave me three prices for the muffler itself
    69.00 for basic
    99.00 for premium
    135.00 for OEM

I went with the premium. It will last just as long as the OEM with out the extra cost. I figure I will be holding on to the vehicle for about anouther 8 years.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  8. jayNjulie

jayNjulie Member

Fuquay Tire. Best guys in the area. Will treat you right. Ask for George. He is a Saint on earth