Facebook Friends

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Cleopatra, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Time and time and time again, this topic has come up on another board I visit. One full of women, most with some pretty liberal views.

To friend or not to friend?
    Why didn't this person accept my friend request?
    Why did they delete me?
    Should I delete them?
    So and so posted an offensive status, should I say something? (this is where the liberal part comes in, if the status refers to politics or religion).

I must be part guy, but I could really care less if somebody deletes me, does not accept my firned request, and I have no problem not accepting a request or deleting somebody.

I choose facebook friends based on a set of criteria. Do I know you IRL? Do I like you? If I don't know you IRL, but have known you online, for how long? Do I like you? My private life is not an open book for all to see, if I wouldn't have you in my home - you're not going to be welcome in my online "home".

If you and I have different POVs, am I going to get worked up over your status? No, I just shrug and say "well, that's how they believe. I still like them (Sherry, SIL lol)".

Are people really this sensitive and neurotic? Why take it so personally?

If I deleted you, it's because I decided that I don't really know you or like you. It could be one of those, it could be all of the above. If you are honest with yourself, you can figure out the reason and not be offended. The same way, I say "Oh, so and so deleted me. Eh, no big deal"

Anybody else come across facebook folks who take it way too seriously? Facebook does not define me.

2. hhicshg

hhicshg Well-Known Member

I don't know if I have run into any of those things but awhile back I saw this or something simlar--
    "Just because you think it doesn't mean you have to put it on facebook".

I just don't understand someone sharing everything on there....
    8)

3. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I *hide* people who post every 4 seconds or who are drama queens/kings.:ack::ack:

4. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I'm on there frequently, but I don't get all wrapped up in it as far as getting my feelings hurt, etc. Some like it, some don't. I rarely friend request people for the reasons you state. I've deleted a few for various reasons. Mostly I just "hide" them if they annoy me, unless they post something particularly egregious or offensive. I'm sure I've been hidden too, LOL. I use it to keep up with friends and family or to get opinions, see peoples pics etc. I love to see what old high school folks are up to, it's amazing what some of them end up doing. One of my HS peeps works for NASA, how cool is that?? I don't do "drama" on FB.

5. Cleopatra

Yeah, lol.

Hey, everybody. I'm eating toast.

Just got back from Walmart.

6. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Sorry, I will work on that! :jester:

7. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

me and my sister want to post status' that say stuff like (we refer to them as "real life status' for facebook"):

I am constipated today for some reason

my hemorrhoids are acting up today

started my period today

had great sex with my husband last night

just to mock folks who feel the need to post everytime they exhale. We're sick puppies like that. I think it would be hysterical.

to answer the questions....I don't care if I get hidden, deleted or ignored on FB. I delete people who don't post something occasionally in their status. I hide all people who use FB as a political sounding board or who are always complaining about something. I do not stalk up old boyfriends (well maybe a little just to laugh at them).

I make Facebook work for me. Which means laughing at some of my hysterically funny friends, sharing pics, sharing videos of a song or something funny, and an occasional random or deep thought. The way it was intended.

8. Cleopatra

Actually, that does not bother me. What annoys me is constant, personal updates. Some things are better left to personal messages instead of the masses, not that I am offended but I look at somebody's friends list and it's like "really, you just shared that with 400 people? And how would the people that the post is about feel about it?". And it doesn't really annoy me, it just leaves me scratching my head I guess. But I'm a pretty private person. :cool:

9. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Besides seeing everyone's pictures, I think that is my favorite thing. I had NO idea in school that some of the folks were so dang funny!!! There are a couple of them that get to bantering back and forth and I think it would be worthy of a standy up comedy routine. Makes my day.

10. Cleopatra

YES! My SIL took a picture of her nasty fungus toe sans toenail and posted it on facebook. That was one of those "I don't believe I would tell people about that" posts. I enjoy your facebook posts, keep em coming - even if I hardly ever post a status. ;) And kdc always finds awesome recipes and old timey stuff I enjoy.

11. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I know what you meant, LOL. I think most of us are guilty of the occasional TMI overshare, but some of them make a daily (hourly) habit of it. I've also dinged my nieces for language sometimes. 8) I'm the grown-up, that's my job. I don't have a lot of my nephews and nieces on there, esp the ones who are teens and early 20's. I don't WANT to know!!! Just looking at the pics sometimes makes me go WTH???

12. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

:cheers:

13. KellBell

but when you do post, it's always worthy. :mrgreen:

and if KDC ever stops posting, I will be sad. I can't wait to try those meatballs. 8) and I wait with baited breath on the doggie stuff. :cheers:

14. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

KB, I'm so gonna do that...

I started my period. LMAO :lol::lol:

15. KellBell

we've come up with some RAUNCHY ones too (of course 8)) but I couldn't put them on here....

running to the store to get monistat....

ROTFLMAO

16. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

LOL!!! It's like a little doggie soap opera!! Last night they actually played together!! I about fell out!

I'm gonna try those meatballs this weekend if I get a chance. It's Paula Deen it has to be good!!

17. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I dare ya!!! I've been tempted to do that to one of my cousins that constantly posts "woe is me" stuff. :lol::lol::lol:

18. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

What else do ya'll want to talk about.... :popcorn:

19. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

:iagree: and all this applies to family members as well :mrgreen:

20. KellBell

if you can think it, I guarantee my sister and I have made fun of it, laughed about it, thought about it, or did it.