FFL transfers

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Gomer Pyle, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

Anyone know of a local FFL dealer willing to facilitate transfers from internet sellers?

TX!

2. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Guy I work with has his FFL. What you looking to do?

3. Gomer Pyle

I'm thinking about buying a stripped AR lower receiver from Brownell's and it has to be transferred thru a FFL dealer. My understanding is that the typical charge is $20 +/- to handle the paperwork and receive the part. I haven't checked any of the local pawn shops yet, but since I work in Durham it's a little hard to do.

4. CraigSPL

I'll talk to him tomorrow and see what he says

5. ditch digger

ditch digger Well-Known Member

You can also try Jim Hamilton at Jims Gun Shop in Garner.

6. Gomer Pyle

Thanks guys!

Brownells needs a certified copy of the receivers FFL, but I suspect that most active dealers or gunsmiths will already have arelationship with them.

I kinda got into this the back way. I was never terribly impressed with the M16 family as a fun shooter but I do admire the purity of it's design. Recently I read that it's perfectly legal to fabricate a firearm for personal use, and that you can buy 80% finished, non-serialized receiver blanks and complete the machining yourself. I run a machine shop, so finishing the work would be no prob.

Long story short, I decided that it's cheaper to buy a legal, transferable AR lower than to DIY. In fact, there's something of a cottage industry doing exactly this.

7. Quincy8Boy

Quincy8Boy Well-Known Member

I got my lower receiver transferred through 42 West pawn shop. Behind Dairy Queen at 40/42.

I forgot how much it was, but he said any other transactions were $10 less.

I bough the lower from R Guns. I'm thinking of getting the upper from R Guns or DSA.

By my calculations I'm not going to come out saving any money by putting it together myself. I'm buy it piecemeal just becuase I don't want to spend that much money at one time.

8. Gomer Pyle

Didn't that pawn shop go fins up? Too bad...

...and +1 on not saving $$$.

That's not the first time I've heard that, but I figure I can build it on the installment plan since the design allows that. The only critical item is the headspacing but that appears to be pretty much a check-and-go item.

At least if I build it myself I can pick and choose components.

Speaking of components (self-threadjack alert!), there must be a secondary market for used/ extra/ unwanted items, an eBay for gun parts. I check gunbroker.com occasionally but it's really not set up for that kind of sales.

Any thoughts?

9. CraigSPL

10. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member