Firefox using 80% of memory

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by Rockyv58, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Okay fellow computer geeks. It always seems that Firefox uses 80%+ of the memory. It always seems to be like that no matter what OS of Windows I use. I have 4gig and its up to 96% memory usage. Any one have any thoughts on how to cut its memory usage? Any things I can check or uncheck to cut the memory usage. Thanks

2. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

get linux

3. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

4GB is a very small amount of memory by modern standards. You can add memory usually pretty cheaply. Firefox and Chrome will cache a large amount of data in memory to make the pages load faster. But if it is not slowing down anything, that is fine. Most new computers come with 8GB or 16GB.

4. Rockyv58

True but it seems no matter how much memory I have Firefox seems to take most of it. The most I can have in this PC is 8gb and I know Firefox would still take 80% of it. Is there a setting in Firefox that controls the memory usage?

5. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

6. Rockyv58

Thanks I will try to go through some of them. I am also getting a scripting error. Much like this one:

A script on this page may be busy, or it may of stopped respoding. You can stop the script now, open the script in the debugger, or let the script continue.

Script: resource//gre/modules/commonj...nsion/mutation-summary.js:109

7. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I used to use Firefox, but started having similar issues and eventually just switched to Chrome. Once I got used to it, I stopped missing Firefox. You might want to give it a look.

Rockyv58 likes this.
  8. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

My linux buddies say the memory problem is generally from add-ons and themes. Try disabling all those.

Rockyv58 likes this.
  9. Rockyv58

Thanks I'll try that