fishing question

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by roca1216, Jan 2, 2014.

1. roca1216

roca1216 Well-Known Member

I haven't been fishing in a long time but like to get back into it. I would like to ask all the fishing pros out there what rod and reel should I buy to fish in a creek? How should I set the line up? weights? hooks? Floater or no floater? Current gets rough sometimes in swift creek? All this new equipment they have now. I don't know what to buy.

thanks

2. Crash

Crash Member

Ultra Light

Just my 2 cents, but I'd get an ultra light rod and reel combo. I'd get a spinner or something like that. I never fished swift creek, but I would assume you should see some pan fish. No weights needed.

3. roca1216

Thank you. I did order a Abu Garcia Ike Dude spinning rod. When you say no weights do you have a web site to look at? I saw many ways on how to set the hooks using connections on the end of the line. I was wondering which way to set the hook without it getting caught on the bottom the creek.

4. Crash

Crash Member

It all depends

It all depends on the type of fishing you plan on doing. For instance:
    If it's a quiet pool of water, I might use a bobber with a hook and worm

If it's shallow rapids, I'll use a minnow spinner, casting it down stream, keeping it off the bottom, and "jigging" as I reel it in. It never touches bottom.

If I'm using a cane pole in a pond, I'll use a bobber and crickets. No weight

It you want to fish the bottom, them buy a pack of split shot, that should do the trick.
    I hope that helps

5. Crash

Crash Member

And one more thing...

A few other pearls of wisdom:
    There are too many variables (water type, fish type) in fishing to try to explain how to fish. Like most enjoyable things in life, experience is the best teacher.

Worst case scenario, you don't catch anything. That's not so bad. There's a reason for the saying "a bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work"

Don't overthink things, just go out and get your line wet.

6. roca1216

Thanks! Your right about not catching anything is always better than a day at work!

7. Pepper Jack

Pepper Jack Well-Known Member

I Like using a thin wire hook that will straighten out if caught on a log ect. It will not straighten with your average creek fish. If you get hung up it;s pretty simple to reform the hook with your fingers. Much less frustration that loosing a lot of terminal gear.

8. C me Now BMM

C me Now BMM Well-Known Member

you're not fishing if you're not snagging... lol

A Zebco 33 or 303 w/ 4-8lb line just tie a snap swivel on your line and pop a #4 hook w/ a splitshot sinker and a bobber than you can adjust the depth w/ bobber to find the sunfish.

some fish pulled out of swift creek at Cornwallis were sunfish, bass, catfish and crappie- nothing big but some action there. More times than not you can find sunfish there.

9. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member