Flat top or eyes for a new stove

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Concerned Person, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Concerned Person

Concerned Person Well-Known Member

Hello,

Thinking of getting a new stove. I am looking at flat tops. I never had flat tops before. Are they good and can you use an iron frying pans on them? And what is the best brand to buy? I have a GE stove with eyes now.

Thanks !

2. Judge Smails

Judge Smails Well-Known Member

I have a Whirlpool flat-top stove - bought it five years ago - and have no complaints. I use cast-iron pans without an issue (and I use them often). They are fairly easy to keep clean, but I would recommend buying the specialized cleaner for it as that helps tremendously.

I've had GE products before and definitely like them (I have a GE washer and dryer that are almost 15 years old and working well, and GE television that's almost 20 years old and still going). This Whirlpool stove has been just as good so far.

Do some research online and ask your friends. But I'm a fan of flat-top stoves.

3. molly2008

molly2008 Well-Known Member

I have a Kenmore flat top stove that is about 13 years old, never had a problem. I use cast iron skillets and I have used pressure cookers too with no problems. You just want to be careful not to scoot the pan around on it, pick it up to move it. I've worn off some of the little nubby looking paint they used for decoration on the eye I use the most, but other than that, it still looks great.

**The oven element went out in spectacular firey fashion a couple years ago, but that was replaced relatively inexpensively and it's continued to work perfect since.

4. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

I have a gas on glass propane stove, I would never go back to electric. My house had an electric in it years ago, but I converted the stove and hot water heater to propane so far, gas heat next year.

5. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

We have a flat induction cooktop - love it! We refer to it as "electric gas"...it gives the same instant heat control that gas does, and it will boil water faster than the microwave.

6. MamaApe

MamaApe Well-Known Member

If you are upgrading you will get more bang for your buck in smooth top. Also Magic Eraser works wonderfully to clean them!