Food Pride?? (didn't see this on the FAQ thread or search)

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by KB2, Jan 28, 2011.

1. KB2

KB2 Well-Known Member

Does anyone one know what the heck is up with the old Food Pride store on the corner of Winston & Guy Road??

It just looks so shady to me. My DH & I pass it everyday on the way to & from work. We both can't help but to think of stuff we see on Dexter. Like someone might be being kept there against there will & no one would ever know, or a meth lab, or some kind of illegal activity... (okay, so maybe we watch too much TV) But seriously, it just seems weird to me. I've only lived here since Aug 07, and it has always been this way. Anyone remember when it was last in business? Anyone know what happened and what it is doing now?? Curiosity is killing us.

-K

2. hhicshg

hhicshg Well-Known Member

The guy who had that built and then operated it for awhile also had another store in Clayton. I guess he just got in over his head and I think he may have sold or lost both stores. They no longer live in the area. That was in the 90's.

3. Tweetyluvzme

Tweetyluvzme Well-Known Member

I wonder too...there are always cars there.

4. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

Is that hvac place still there next to the old grocery store?

5. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Yep. Went in there a few years ago and met the folks. had plenty of plumbing and HVAC supplies, parts in there, and several cats which were allowed to roam. Smelled like a giant catbox in there.

Good location for a C-store, but you;d have to bulldoze and start over.

6. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Its been about 12 years give or take a year since they were selling groceries. They still did hvac back then outta the back.

7. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I recall going to get ice there during the week after Hurricane Fran when there was no power, so that was Sept. '96.

8. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

I remember when it was a Red & White the same guy owned the one in Clayton on O'Neil St. I think they both closed down about the same time because of some tax problems, after that it became Food Pride which lasted a few years but if I recall the guy that owned Food Pride also had the HVAC place after he closed the grocery store!

I worked at the R&W thru HS so it was probably 95 or 96 when it closed