Ford Edge or Jeep Grand Cherokee?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Bren, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Bren

Bren Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about a new vehicle and I'm torn between a Ford Edge or the Jeep Grand Cherokee. I can get them both for about the same price so that's not helping me decide. Do any of you have any knowledge about either of these vehicles? Pros....cons??

Thanks!

2. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Jeeps are crap.

3. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

jeeps are more expensive to repair.

4. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I'd have to say the Edge if I had to pick.

5. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

I think Jeeps are a rougher ride. I'd pick an Edge.

6. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

depends on your needs, also a little more information about the two would be better.

7. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

:iagree: with the other posters. I had a jeep grand cherokee and had no issues, but I traded it at 88K partly because of all of the troubles my sister had with hers. Hers is in the shop more than on the road. Literally. I traded it for an explorer and it performed very well (we have had 3 of them over the last 20 years and drove them well over 100K with no issues). My MIL has a new EDGE and loves it. Between the two, EDGE wins IMHO. Not sure where you are planning to buy, but we always buy fords from Kenly Ford (Johnny Jackson 919-284-3123). He has been with them forever and they are great to work with. Good luck!

8. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

Glad you posted this...my 17 yo wants a Jeep Cherokee, and now I can give more reasons to just say "'No"!

9. Savealot

Savealot Well-Known Member

I know this wasn't one of your choices but we are looking at the New Ford Explorer.

10. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

(Temporary thread jack)The older Jeep Cherokees (not Grand Cherokees) with the inline 6 are more reliable than the V6 in Grand Cherokees, or so I have heard from a retired Jeep mechanic. My 17 year old has a honda CR-V. We have been happy with it so far. It has 111K on it and his friend's has 166K. (Back to the original thread).

I don't like the look of the new explorer, or the edge for that matter. Low clearance and too car-like. Lost its manliness. :jester:

11. elims

elims Well-Known Member

How is the gas mileage between the two? Isnt the Edge a smaller car, compared to the Jeep? I'd vote for the Ford Edge ... but I haven't done any research between the two.

12. Bren

Bren Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the answers....looks like the Ford Edge is the choice of the 4042 gang!

Craig, as far as my needs go..... I only work about 7 1/2 miles from my house. But we will probably be driving to the beach at least 3 weekends a month come April. So I want something that is reliable. I won't be hauling or towing anything because we also have F250 Diesel. I currently have a Dodge Durango and I love the room in it. I can throw about anything in the back of it....what I don't love is the gas it takes. I'm getting about 16 mpg in it.

I've driven them both and like the way they both drive. The Jeep sits up higher like my Durango does, which I love. I'm just confused. My DH told me to go with whichever one I like but he prefers the Edge. And once it's out of warranty, he will be the one that works on it. As far as looks, I like the way the Jeep looks.

I'm not in any big hurry and I want to make sure I do my DD before purchasing.

13. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

Have you looked at the Chevrolet Equinox? Very good vehicle

14. Bren

Bren Well-Known Member

For some unknown reason my husband freaks when I mention a Chevrolet. I like the Buick Enclaves but he just shuts down when I mention that one too. :)

15. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I will never, ever own another GM product of any kind. Just sayin'. I understand where your DH is coming from. My hands go over my ears whenever it's mentioned, LOL.

16. barney726

barney726 Well-Known Member

although it's government motors now, their (gm's) products are very well built now.

17. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

That may well be, but I've been burnt twice. They don't get to go for a third round. :cheers:

18. CraigSPL

Couple of things. You could also get Grand Cherokee's with the inline 6 from 1999-2004. During those years the engine to stay away from was the 4.7 v-8. The V-6 wasn't offered as a factory engine until the 2005 model year.

As for the Edge, I would have never considered it really manly to start with not compared to a Jeep.

19. CraigSPL

If you currently have a Durango and your complaint is the gas milage that will automatically solve your problem, as unless you get the inline 6 any jeep Grand Cherokee you get will be about the same mileage wise.

In all honesty in an apples to apples type comparison the Explorer would be much better suited to compare the Grand Cherokee to while the Edge would probably be closer to the Liberty or Patriot.

20. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I don't know about that, usually I have to get rid of mine after 250K miles because the interior usually is coming apart.