Free community work

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by mcclouds6, Dec 1, 2011.

1. mcclouds6

mcclouds6 Well-Known Member

My daughter is 16 and in the National Honor Society she needs volunteer hours to hold her position as an officer. She needs a total of 10 hours of community service. If anyone needs a babysitter on the weekend nights please pm me. She is dependable and has her own transportation.

2. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

Is private babysitting really a community service? I didn't know the kids could get community service credit for this. I could see if it was volunteering to help with kids at a non-profit camp or something but this seems odd? I always think of community service as being a service that helps the community at large in some way, not just beneficial to a particular person or family.

3. trev47

trev47 Well-Known Member

You should encourage your daughter to join key club or another organization like it. My daughter is involved in key club and she can count her hours at volunteer events.

4. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

The Spca of Wake County allows teens to volunteer with their parents present. My schools' honor society just went to a nursing home today to do a christmas craft and they said they really need volunteers.

5. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

:iagree: The nursing homes always need people to come in and simply read to their residents or even just listen to their stories.

6. Tardevil

Tardevil Well-Known Member

This is something my whole family is interested in doing, but do not know where there are homes in Johnston County. We would love a few referrals because I only know of one. Thank you!!

7. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

The local Basic Needs library always needs help, I know several high school students who have earned hours there.

8. elims

elims Well-Known Member

What are her interests? Back home (st.louis) kids could start volunteering in hospitals as candy-stripers at age 14. It'd be cool if she could find an area that she was interested in ...

You might check with Reins From Above also ... working with kids and horses, what's better?

9. VolleyGrl

VolleyGrl Well-Known Member

If she enjoys working with animals I know that the Johnston County Animal Protection League can use volunteers this month for the "Santa Paws" events that they are having at the PetSmart at White Oak. They need help with collecting money, arranging animals with santa, etc. If she's interested (or anyone else is interested) let me know and I can get her in contact with the right person. :)

10. bostonredhead

bostonredhead Well-Known Member

Have her look on volunteermatch.org.