Free TV

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Rockyv58, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I know there have been other threads about cutting cable and such. I got this link from my facebook account. I figure I would post it hear for people who want to cut the cord.

http://antennatv.tv/free/

2. cranky

cranky Well-Known Member

Thats pretty much it. We cut the cable and ditched the dish years ago before the digital conversion even. I get about 22 chanels of which about 14 are worth watching and in english. We also upgraded to a internet capable Blu-ray player ($250) and supplement our programming with a Netflix account for $10 and Youtube for free. There are about six times a year that I want to see something on cable that I have to miss or go somewhere else and watch it. I can say that the over the air signal is a little more weather sensitive than it used to be. Its about like having sattelite again. The most affected channels are UNC's, the Raleigh channels 11, 17, 22 and 50 come in very clear in most weather including minor storms.

3. OutdoorPlay

OutdoorPlay Well-Known Member

I recently bought an outdoor antennas and then I added a pre-amp to it and we get 33 channels. Without the pre-amp we got 24 channels. I tried an indoor antenna, but it was not reliable so that is why I added the outdoor antenna. I tried the RCA ant751 and the Clearstream 2v by Antennas Direct, both of these are very good antennas. We have problems with the storms also, but we have streaming content from Roku so we have something to watch.

4. cranky

cranky Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info on the antennas. Are you in an open hilltop area, or one of the lower elevation areas?

5. OutdoorPlay

OutdoorPlay Well-Known Member

We are on a hill, but I have a very large oak tree very close to the antenna. I tried moving the antenna in different directions to try and get the maximum channels. It took me a while, but it was worth it. I downloaded a compass app on my phone and found that pointing the antenna to 40 degrees was the sweet spot. Depending on what you want to receive, I also tried the Winegard FreeVision from Home Depot, which worked really well also. This antenna was recommended by someone else on the forum.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  6. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member