GARNER PD provides FREE class for women!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by 4ME2KNOW, Jan 20, 2010.

1. 4ME2KNOW

4ME2KNOW Well-Known Member

I attended this class with my daughter in October and it was well worth it! I suggest every woman take a class like this one!! AND IT"S FREE!! You have to register...info listed below.

For Immediate Release

***To register for the class please call Troy Young at 772-8810***

On February 6, 2010 from 10:00am - 2:00pm The Garner Police Department will be hosting a 4-hour Rape Defense Class for Women (ages 12 and older) at the West District Police Sub-Station, 1809 Garner Station Blvd. To register for the class please call Troy Young at 772-8810.

NC SBI reports that on average one completed rape occurs in North Carolina every four (4) hours, and the FBI reports that on average one completed rape occurs in the United States every 5.6 minutes.

The National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS) conducted by the Department of Justice Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) estimated 248,300 sexual assaults against females over age 11 in 2007. These reports and surveys also inform us that 75% or more of the victims knew or were acquainted with the suspect/offender.

The FBI and BJS report that in 50% of rapes/sexual assaults or attempts reported to Law Enforcement, the victim was under the age of 18. Security On Campus, Inc. www.campussafety.org (A non-profit organization) reports that the chances for women in college to be raped or sexually assaulted increase by 25% during their four-year stay. In a Spring 2008 Survey conducted by the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) it was reported that close to 25% of college women reported an attempted or completed rape while in college.

This Rape Defense seminar focuses on the fact that more women who resist an attack are less likely to be raped than those women who do not resist. Studies from Rape Crisis Centers, Law Enforcement Agencies and crime statistic gathering agencies in the United States and Canada conclude that 70 - 80% of women who resist their attacker with some type of psychological and/or physical resistance will avoid being raped. These agencies also conclude that in over 96% of the attacks where no resistance was offered the raped was not avoided.

Participants of this class will be taught methods on how to be mentally and physically prepared to resist the attack and protect themselves and their families.

2. ahlsmiles

ahlsmiles Well-Known Member

Thanks for passing on the info!