Gas Logs Annual Service?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by pkc789, Jan 29, 2010.

1. pkc789

pkc789 Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a suggestion of who I can trust to give me a reasonable price to service/clean my gas logs? We haven't used them in 7 years. Thanks

2. Hotwire

Hotwire Well-Known Member

Stephenson Heating and Air will come out and clean your gas logs and make sure they are up to par for $69.00. Make sure you ask for a lady named Mrs. Ellen, and she will take care of you. They are located in Garner off Old Drug Store road in the Shipwash Business park, (919)329-0686.

3. pkc789

pkc789 Well-Known Member

Thank you! I just called them.

4. Hotwire

Hotwire Well-Known Member

I hope you didn't need them today, because I'm sure everyone and their brother are calling them in for today!

5. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Cleaning gas logs? What does that entail? I *have* heard of folks putting the actual logs in their dishwasher.

6. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

uhoh, something else i have to clean:banghead: i had no idea you had to clean the gas logs.

7. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Actually, I don't think you have to clean the actual logs, I think it's more like getting any heating system cleaned and checked. If the gas nozzle is clogged, it wouldn't work very well, would it?

8. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Some gas log setups have sensors to detect the percentage of oxygen and burnt gases. Dust collecting on a sensor may render it inoperative, thus the pilot light won't remain lit. This is a safety feature.

It's not that difficult to do. Use a can of compressed air like you wold use for cleaning a keyboard.

Turn off gas at tank source. Ensure pilot light is not lit. remove logs. near and around the pilot light, and over the intricate parts/pieces spray compressed air to remove dust, etc. Do not invert can and spray liquid freon/propellant.

Replace logs.

Follow your fireplace instructions to relight pilot.

Hope this helps.