GCAA Basketball Info?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by kidsfly, Oct 18, 2008.

1. kidsfly

kidsfly Well-Known Member

I've been on the GCAA's website, emailed the basketball contacts (no response yet), and haven't been able to get the information I'm interested in. The only thing I find online is the registration form. Is it there and I'm totally missing it?

Anyway, does anyone know about the U8 basketball program? (If it's similiar to fall baseball we may not be able to cut it). How often per week do they play and what is the practice schedule? During the week, what are game times?

When does the program usually start?

Thanks for any info.

2. kidsfly

:allears:

3. bostonredhead

bostonredhead Well-Known Member

Here's the info

2008-2009 Fall/Winter Basketball Online Registration is now open!!!
    Walk-In Registration will be Saturday - November 1, 2008:
    9am-12pm at GCAA AG Building (behind GCAA Gym)
    Online & Walk-In Registration will end Saturday - November 1, 2008

Source: www.gcaasports.com

4. kidsfly

Thanks, but that's not what I'm looking for.

I wanted to know what the typical schedule is like. Do they play on school nights, what time and how often? Do they also practice in addition to games, again, school night or weekend?

Fall baseball games held on school night that start at 7:35-7:45ish are a little rough to handle. Is basketball the same?

When does the season start, end? etc.

5. cece

cece Well-Known Member

I am not familiar with basketball, but we have done other GCAA activities and they are generally 2 nights per week. Weeknights that is....

6. mmciver

mmciver Well-Known Member

This has always been a pet peave of mine with GCAA. GCAA has a history of poor communication. I do understand that they are volunteers, but they did volunteer.

7. bostonredhead

bostonredhead Well-Known Member

Practice times may depend on the coach. You could probably get your questions answered at the walk-in registration or by emailing the Basketball Director, Demetrius Harrison, at deanton45@yahoo.com

8. mmciver

I have tried to volunteer and I would be more than happy to help GCAA. The biggest problem I have is when I try to volunteer I can't seem to get a reply. That is my biggest pet peave Polenturdmafia1.

It is kinda funny that I could predict your post....

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  9. mmciver

I pick option 1 or 2. I do not know why you take such offense to people telling it like it is. Oh, I forgot you once were a board member. I see where the standard was set. I would hate to know that I was the standard setter of such high standards. I will say the GCAA has actually gotten better since you left polenturdmafia1 :)

Most board members are in place for daddy ball and not the betterment of the organization. I said most because I know of several board members with GCAA that try hard and are in it for the right reasons, but most are not. Maybe you were in it for the right reasons, but quit taking such offense to one's opinion. You have your's and I have mine. It doesn't make either one right or wrong, so get over it :)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  10. mmciver

Were you born this way or did you work at it?

11. mmciver

Me too! Maybe that is why you got so upset :)

12. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

Back to thte TOPIC:

GCAA - from what I have heard & read all sports are (usually) 1-2 nights a week & once on the weekend.

This is a big problem for our family. We can do only one night a week. That is why the lesser competative YMCA league works so well for us. But DS is almost aged out of the Y leagues. What to do?

GCAA- will any sports just be one night a week? Maybe a longer schedule? or only once a weekend? I know that is only 1-2 hours a week.

We are not the only family that cannot commit to multi nights a week during the school year.

Anyone?

13. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

Our kids have done soccer through GCAA and that's always only been one night a week, but this fall is the first season they didn't do soccer, so has it changed? I don't know...My kids did baseball in the fall instead, and that was 2 nights/week, and it just about killed us! Don't know what I'll do when little one is doing a sport as well! We've never done basketball, so can't answer that initial question for you, sorry! I like my kids to stay active, but with schoolwork, I really think weeknights should be limited to one night/week, especially for the younger kids.

14. Emma Caroline

Emma Caroline Well-Known Member

There is always Upward. They practice one night a week and games on Sat. K does not have a week night practice. At 3rd grade it becomes a little more competative and they start keeping score--but still only one night a week. If you have more than one child they can not guarantee they will practice on the same night so it may be more nights with more kids. Just a suggestion.

15. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

Thank you.

to recap-- the options are:
    Upwards
    YMCA
    GCAA
    McGees League (MCAA?)
    town leagues (S'field, Clayton, Garner, Benson
    Civitan
    Pop Warner

others?

16. seabee

seabee Guest

Is it necessarry to call him Polenturd mafia in your posts?

17. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

Hey DMJ, we just finished up U04 soccer and it was still only once a week and games on Saturday

18. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

Thanks Shar, I was wondering. My 2 older wanted to try baseball this time. My middle one loves it, will not be going back to soccer, my oldest one I'm not sure about. Might go back to soccer, might not do either, although we want him to do something just to stay active. My little one is too young to play soccer, but he wants to in the worst way. We might try to sway them to let him in the U4, since he'll be almost 4 in the spring, but his b-day messes him up! I don't look forward to having 3 playing sports at the same time, wish one of them would want to do basketball, at least that's a winter sport!

19. YouthSports

YouthSports Member

Basketball practices are one night a week and games are played on Saturdays (morning until night) and Sunday afternoons. Parents can usually work with the coaches schedule practices at a convenient time for most of the families.

The basketball committee will be wrapping up sign ups on November 1st and then determining the schedules and start/end dates after that.

This should be a great season with the addition of a new heating and air conditioning unit in the gym.

20. seabee

seabee Guest

figured as much,