Geriatric referral for neighbor?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by annatinnie, Apr 28, 2010.

1. annatinnie

annatinnie Well-Known Member

Hi guys!

A neighbor of mine recently moved her grandmother to live with her temporarily due to her falling in her home and no other family members available to invest the time to take care of her or help in the matter.

She is fairly elderly and on medicare and although my neighbor has tried to do everything she possibly can to take care of her independently, she has realized that the grandmother needs far more care than she can provide due to work schedules, etc. That being said she has power of attorney and that sort of thing if it matters...

She has tried to get the grandmother seen by the Duke Geriatric Clinic, but they are only taking patients via referral. I tried calling my own personal PC dr but they told me that they didn't do that kind of care and they couldn't give me the name of anyone either.

She needs more care than just assisted living...she needs assistance showering, etc-she very easily falls when she tries to do things independently-to the point that it's just not safe!

Does ANYONE have the name of a physician that she might try to get her to that can further help really evaluate-blood panels, etc? Or a doctor that really can refer her to have her seen at Duke?

Thank you so much in advance! I just moved here a short time ago and do not know of anyone, and she really needs the help!

Tiffany

2. ginger1989

ginger1989 Well-Known Member

Call CenterPeace Home Health care in Fuquay. They offer companion care and Certified Nurse Aide care and work with Medicare.
    www.cpcompanioncare.com
    919-567-8200

I am a CNA and work for them. They are very caring.

3. Tweetyluvzme

Tweetyluvzme Well-Known Member

My mother is a retired RN and works for elderly people that still live in their own homes. These people do not want to go to a nursing home or cannot afford it, or whatever the case may be. Some of the people will have several people that work in rotating shifts for their care. She lives in Oklahoma but has her name on several agency lists so when somebody needs help they will call her. I would call some agency's and see if they can point you in the right direction.