Get some %$#@ chew toys!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Cleopatra, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

2. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Since ours eats raw drumsticks for dinner I know that a toe or two would not pose any problems,so DH better watch out while napping on the couch with just his socks for protection.

3. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

WTH kind of puppies eat toes???? Doesn't anyone FEED these things?? I've seen these stories too, Cleo and I just don't get how anyone with half a brain lets something like this happen. :evil:

4. Cleopatra

It doesn't say in this article, but the other two I am referring to were American Pit Bulls. I blame the owners though, not the breed.

5. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Oh, I agree with you 1000%. I was just wondering what kind of dog out of curiosity. My sister has a 150 lb mastiff that could chew your leg off, much less your toes. But she is a responsible pet owner and wouldn't leave the dog alone with an incapacitated person or baby either one. Freaking idiots.

6. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

:iagree:

7. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

Have you noticed just how often that statement has to be said. Do you think at some point you will blame the breed?

8. Jenna's Mom

Jenna's Mom Well-Known Member

Puppy chewing is perfectly normal. Puppy chewing off baby toes is lack of parental supervision. Dogs and puppies NEED to chew for a variety of reasons. It is up to dog owners to ensure they are chewing on appropriate items (I admit, I've lost more than a few socks and things to my dogs). Besides, I don't know many babies who would not fuss when something is chewing on their toes for an extended length of time. After a while, I'm sure the giggles turned into screams, but that probably happened well before things got so bad for the child.

On top of that, I'm sorry, if I'm not coherent enough to watch my kids and my inside dogs, I'm putting the dogs in a different room.

Perhaps people need to be tested to be parents or dog owners before Fido or Frank Jr come home. There's a little thing that is becoming harder to find, that is Common Sense. It's not so common anymore.

9. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Puppies have been around a long time. Kids have been around a long time. I'm going to bet this sort of thing has been happening a long time, its just that there is so much news out there now, we hear of these things happening more often. Its no fault of the kids or the puppies, but the parents who leave an animal with their kids unattended. That's why you put kids behind a gate in their rooms (cribs if applicable) and you put a dog in a crate or kennel. Its not that hard, people.

The best thing for a chewer is pig ears. Man, does our 7 month old love them.

10. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Hopefully the pig is anesthetized!

11. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

:jester:

And before anyone calls me on it...our seven month old is a dog.

12. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

We were hoping!! :lol:

My little dog takes them by spells, she will carry them around for DAYS before she will finally sit down and eat it. I ususally cut them in two for her. Sam's club has the best deal on them if you buy lots.

13. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info about Sam's. Yeah, he'll devour one in about 45 minutes and 12 pig ears at Walmart are about $12. He's always ready to eat and will consume anything. My nickname for him is "The Stomach." Of course, we don't feed him excessively because a fat basset is a very bad thing but that doesn't stop him from trying. He's an expert beggar.

14. Cleopatra

Truth be told, I *am* a breedist. Yes, I just made up my own word.

I don't care for Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, Akitas, and the like. When those dogs get out and rip people to shreds, yeah - I blame the dog. I think there ought to be a special class and license to own some breeds, which means that the owner's share responsibility as well.

In these particular cases, we are dealing with puppies and very obvious, enept owners. IMO these dogs have the propensity to do this anyhow, and with them being pups proves to me even more that the thirst for blood is an inate trait. Couple them with people that sleep for hours while their babies cry, and this woman who couldn't even take care of her adult, disabled mother... A recipe for disaster. Or ground toes.

15. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I do agree with you Cleo on the licensing. I think if you own a large dog breed known to tendencies of viciousness, then you should have to have a bit more scrutiny. Especially so if you live around neighbors. People always think that their pit bulls, rotties, boxers, dobermans, german shepherds, etc. but all dogs are unpredictable. I think an annual inspection by city/county animal control of the dwelling of such breeds should be considered (with an added fee for the license) or else greater responsibility imposed upon owners who are negligent when their dog mauls someone off their property.