getting a pool, recommend someone

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by rushlow2004, Mar 9, 2011.

1. rushlow2004

rushlow2004 Well-Known Member

I'm looking into getting a pool this year, I have a budget and some what of a idea on what size we want. For those of you that have pools who and what do you recommend?
    Who fills them?
    Did you put it up or had someone else come in a put it up for you?

Sheri

2. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

I don't have one now, but we used to have a 27' above ground. Over the years I shopped at about all of the pool places and I found that no one could touch Clear Water Pools (I think that's the name. They are in the s/c behind Golden Corral). They have the best service, prices and they are not out to sell you a bunch of crap that you don't need.

If I were you I would stay as far away from Capitol Pools as possible. All they want to do is sell you a ton of chemicals that you don't need at very expensive prices.

3. michelle

Oh and we filled it up ourselves most of the time. We hired Ricky Lee to fill it one time and they messed up the liner.

4. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

What size are you looking at and do you have a few strong men around plus you are going to have to level the ground first. The size will really determine if you can do it yourself or get someone to do it. It is cheaper to buy online & install yourself but like i said it does take a couple strong men if it is a full size pool. As for water, go with county water if you have it, so much cheaper and the chemicals in it are good.

5. rushlow2004

rushlow2004 Well-Known Member

I have a well, so no I can't fill it, and I have a brother and that is it, i don't want my dad messing with something like this, heart issues. I just want one that is deep enough to have fun in, 4 feet or more, and at least 15 feet across. Not really big. but the hassle of getting the ground level and stuff like that, was wondering if it was worth having someone else come in and do it for us.

6. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

personally we hired someone to level for us and then my DH and son installed the pool but it was not simple. If i had to do it again, i would probably just have someone install it for us. Like Michelle said, Clear Water Pools is great and know their stuff. Now if you are getting a softside pool, that is something you could probably do with you and your brother and the leveling does not have to be as exact. Oh yeah, and you do need to put sand down between the pool and ground and if you have an installer he will take care of that for you too.

7. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Check 4042 classifieds & CL, I saw a pool on one of them just the other day. Heck I thought about getting it for ME. :jester:

8. michelle

It's so much easier to get someone to install it for you. They know what they are doing and THEY are responsible if they tear your liner or mess anything up. I believe the person who installed ours put some kind of chemical (I want to say it was diesel fuel?) on the ground before they set it up to keep the weeds from growing.

We had well water too. We just filled it up a little at the time (few hours a day). We didn't have any problems.

9. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Usually they put down the ground clear, at least that is what installers did a few years back:lol: We used to have a lot of people use well water like Michelle said and do it a little at a time and it worked great, only suggestion is that you get your well water tested first, some well waters can have metals, phosphates, etc in it that can create havoc with the pool chemicals.

10. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

I bought from Capitol Pools several years back. They didn't really give me a warm fuzzy, and their contractor did an adequate job- they did the absolute minimum and left it at that.

If I were to do it again I'd look seriously at Rising Sun pools. I've had a positive experience in the storefront and have heard good things about their service and installation. Sometimes the lowest bid isn't the best bid...

Before you go DIY, pull a level string across your site to the diameter of your pool- then think about moving all that dirt with a shovel. Even a very slight grade adds up to a ton (...or two) of work and a Bobcat saves a lot of wear and tear on the installer.

11. aydansnana

aydansnana Well-Known Member

http://www.poolsbyclearwater.com/company.html

These folks are the best. We purchased a above ground pool from them last summer. It took them abour 1/2 day and they include everything in their price. Fantastic service, hands down the best all around!

12. WVELEM

WVELEM Active Member

Pools

We have had our pool for about five years, Clearwater pools is the best place to go, ask for Justin he is very nice and honest. We filled our pool with two water hoses it took over 24 hours. Our water bill was 70.00 that month. In the summer our water bill runs about 30.00 - 35.00 backwashing the pool and topping it off after parties. The pool was an investment and money well spent.8):hurray:

13. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

Who supplies your water? We'd love to have a 35.00 water bill.

14. gdogg79

gdogg79 Well-Known Member

We have an above ground pool that was at the house when we moved in. We just replaced the liner a couple weeks ago after our dog fell in and put a few holes in it last fall. We filled it up ourselves using county water.

We also use Clearwater Pools. I joke that my husband has a crush on the girl there (I think her name is Wren?) because he's up there so often "getting the water tested". We just converted to salt water last year so can't wait to see how big of a difference that makes!