Google Fiber Coming to Town

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Webmaster, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

The Triangle area is on the list of nine metropolitan areas where Internet giant Google wants to deploy its "Google Fiber" broadband network for TV, Internet and other services. The company would need government approvals before providing the service.

2. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

:hurray:

3. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

:hurray:

4. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

5. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Already have fiber in Autryville, it is sweet!

6. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Not the same thing, sorry. Google's fiber is 10-20 times faster than anything currently offered in NC, for $70/month. 1Gbps, or what is 1000Mbps. The best TW does is 50 or 100Mbps depending on where you live. And that costs like $250/month.

Oh and I would highly doubt to ever see Google Fiber out in JoCo, sorry, they will stick to the urban areas as they are cheaper to install infrastructure to many more people.

7. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Yep, just saw another article and realize now it is different.

I couldn't believe we got Fiber for our network out where I live (we are barely affiliated with Autryville) in Sampson County. But they just installed it last summer, said that in the long run it is cheaply than running regular cable, and being very rural it is very fast. My wife is the geek so I am not sure what the speeds are!

8. jesse82nc

Just about every network backbone is fiber nowadays fyi. A lot of companies use the buzz term Fiber to the Node (FTTN) or Fiber to the Home/Premises (FTTH/P), the first of those is pretty common actually. The "Node" is the box out by the street. Fiber is pretty cheap actually and has a virtually unlimited bandwidth, you can continually update the optics and equipment on either end of cable to increase speeds. I actually work for Cisco in RTP where we test this exact type of equipment for large companies like Verizon, AT&T, and TW. We have plenty of instances of 100GB running over a single fiber cable (2 strand cable). They have been working on 400GB and 1TB already as well. 1TB is 1000 times faster than what Google is offering, which is 20 times faster than Time Warner.

Really makes you realize how far behind the cable companies and especially DSL is nowadays.

9. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

10. jesse82nc

Well on one side of it, they have been working on laser communications systems for space, which is higher bandwidth and slightly lower latency than current systems. On the other side they have protocols which use delay tolerant networking technologies. Most of this is still experimental, but it is in development. Store and Forward is one technology which some of tried using so far.

11. Palisade

Palisade Well-Known Member

12. Quincy8Boy

Quincy8Boy Well-Known Member

13. silverdevil

silverdevil Active Member

Rockyv58 likes this.
  14. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member

But how long before Google Fiber will be in the 40/42 area? I'm not holding my breath for that...

15. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Going from 50Mps fiber at work to Centurylink at home is a huge difference, but I'll have to ask the wife what speed we have at the house.

16. jesse82nc

They have no plans to do our area.

17. certdude

certdude Well-Known Member

No but reading the article, ATT has been aggressive in the area.I wasnt aware of Greenfield Parkway being done but I know theyve done a few subdivisions around 40/42 lately, wouldnt take them much to do more since the base infra has been run out in the area.

If Century Link does anything more ever than Flowers Plantation, we might see more from them in the near future.

18. spy109

spy109 Well-Known Member

Century Link laid fiber in Greystone Crossing which is off old fairgrounds near McGee's Crossroads last year some time. It is still dark though :(

19. certdude

certdude Well-Known Member

Is it a private street subdivision or a public ROW? If its the former, you need to find whom signed the ROW and you might have some rights to getting it lit/used.