Graduation Tickets

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Ridge, May 20, 2016.

1. Ridge

Ridge Active Member

I need one "Field Level" ticket for the Cleveland High Graduation on June 10. I will trade you four bleacher tickets for one field level ticket.

2. Emma Caroline

Emma Caroline Well-Known Member

This made me laugh! My son and I have had a plan for a couple of years to "scalp" his graduation tickets. We were thinking we could get 100 bucks per ticket. Plus the savings on the cap and gown --and now with the strict dresscode--a new pair of pants and shoes--we figured it would be quite the payday!!

3. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Graduation has just gotten out of control around here is really what it boils down to.

cynadon likes this.
  4. Emma Caroline

Emma Caroline Well-Known Member

I am a great parent and I don't know what rules you are referring to. The graduation ceremony is no longer about the kids or accomplishments.It is about making everyone the same and equal. My son is currently #1 in the class so there is a good chance he will be valedictorian. He will definitely graduate with high honors--of course that is no longer a distinguished honor. Mr. Byrd has decided to not recognize the honor graduates at the beginning of the ceremony--they will all just be lined up alphabetically. Why cant my son wear a pair of khakis and dress shoes under his cap and gown? They used to be able to decorate their caps. Now khakis are banned--black shoes required--only decorations regarding the college they will attend are allowed--and that has to be 2D.

I am not really interested in sitting through a ceremony telling me all the kids have to be the same and accept everyone else is the same at they are. My kid takes the most challenging workload he can and makes A's --and that is the first time around without having to retest everything as some of the kids do.

So if he wants to sell his tickets because he does not need a mass ceremony of equalness to take away from his knowledge that he actually has accomplished something and set himself apart--then good--that money will probably pay for a text book as he embarks on his next educational journey.

We do follow the rules but the type of kid I have raised is certainly not considered a "follower" He is a leader and people like you should take note of his type of leadership.

certdude, dgsatman, markfnc and 3 others like this.
  5. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

I never went to my high school or college graduation. It's not mandatory.

6. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

I sincerely ask your forgiveness and was wayyyyyy wrong. I agree with everything you said and wish you both would boycott graduation and get every other honor student to do the same. If there was any way I could help you, I would. This just sucks and you and he deserve better.

pcroom and Wayne Stollings like this.
  7. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

It makes me happy to see parents like you with kids like yours still exist. Congrats on raising what sounds like a great young man.

I just read the other day that a lot of schools are considering getting rid of the valedictorian just because other students feel it is discriminatory against them. So sad the world we live in today.

Hught, markfnc, cynadon and 1 other person like this.
  8. pcroom

pcroom Well-Known Member

I happen to know this family and they have raised 3 outstanding boys. They all have excellent manners, and show respect to adults. The oldest is an honor student and should be commended for his accomplishments. The students that have not earned this should not feel it's discriminatory. The graduation ceremony is just another example of what the world is becoming. Just throw everybody in the same basket with no rewards for the ones that have worked so hard. Because these boys have been raised by great parents that have taught them true values, they will go far. What more can I say. These boys are blessed to be raised in a Christian home by parents that have solid values.

9. barney726

barney726 Well-Known Member

i agree with the elimination of valedictorian, etc. and having the designation of "high honors" and "honors" to designate outstanding grades in both high school and college. a local high school had to go to .002 to determine the valedictorian in class 2015.

10. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

That should shorten up the ceremony some then since there will no longer be a Valedictorian or Salutatorian speech.. Just wouldn't be fair to choose just anyone for the speeches!!!!!

11. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

It dang sure wouldn't. That's what's wrong with society now. Let's treat everybody the same. We wouldn't want to offend any of the losers who haven't even tried to excel.

Romeo, cynadon and markfnc like this.
  12. kevinsmithii

kevinsmithii Well-Known Member

The schools just are not preparing kids for the real world anymore.

Romeo likes this.
  13. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

I believe in honoring those who have excelled!!! By doing away with this recognition we have reduced the high school diploma to the fate of the cherished "Participation Trophy". :(

markfnc, CraigSPL, Romeo and 3 others like this.
  14. molly2008

molly2008 Well-Known Member

Someone has to be number 1. If you missed it by .02, then you missed it. Welcome to the real world. Kids absolutely should be recognized for their accomplishments. My kid won't be valedictorian, but if he was I damned sure would want it recognized.

15. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/05/2...oard-votes-to-stop-naming-valedictorians.html

Apparently working your hardest to be the best you can be -- and being recognized for the effort -- is one lesson a North Carolina school board no longer believes is worth teaching. Citing what it calls "unhealthy" competition among students, the Wake County school board is the latest in the country to make valedictorians and salutatorians a thing of the past.
    The school board unanimously gave initial approval last week to a policy that would prohibit high school principals from naming valedictorians and salutatorians – titles reserved for the two graduating seniors with the highest grade-point averages – after 2018.​

16. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

With that being said, the ripple effect should be in force.... That ALL college and universities should accept everyone who applies...... and that will eliminate the competition of those who apply........ after all then, if you graduate high school then you should automatically get accepted into the college of your choice!!! Because a number (GPA) is just a number!!!!

Sherry A., Romeo and HidesinOBX like this.
  17. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

I respectively disagree. The youth of today that apply themselves are getting a good education.

Sherry A. likes this.
  18. kevinsmithii

I did not say they are not getting a good education. they are not being prepared for the real world. All the positivity they are taught does not apply out here. All I here out here is I can't do this or that or I will get fired. These kids these days are only told everything they can do and never reprimanded for doing wrong because no one wants to hurt their feelings. Then the first couple of jobs they are fired from seem to be someone elses fault. They are not being held accountable for their actions.

Auxie likes this.
  19. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

I disagree. You state "these kids these days", but I know tons of kids in their teens and twenties who do not do what you talk about above. The ones I know take responsibility, have been working part time jobs through their teens and have excelled in school. My kid is twenty four, worked part time jobs in high school, swam competitively year round and on the high school team, held a high GPA through high school and has done the exact same in college. She graduated from college with Psychology and Biology degrees, is going to nursing school now and works a full time job and two part time jobs. Most, if not all, of her friends have and are doing the same thing as she is doing.

My kid has been watching people's pets, house sitting and babysitting since she was twelve and still does. As a matter of fact, when she's not working other jobs she watches Coach K's grandkids. And, believe it or not.....she still has time for dating and socializing with friends. She and her friends still see each other at least once a month from both high school and college.

These kids are working hard so they can pay off student loans and saving for homes, cars and such. They work hard and have a great outlook on life. All they want is to be acknowledged for their hard work. They want a pat on their backs from schools, family, friends and bosses. I don't think that is too much to ask for. And, if they excel......I believe, they should be rewarded with giving a speech at a high school graduation, college graduation and at work. They are awesome!

Sherry

gcoats3 likes this.
  20. kevinsmithii

Twice in this forum my comments are taken out of context and misunderstood. I am in total agreement that they should be able to compete and be rewarded for great effort. I did not say all kids these days. Read. I'm sure you have seen the type of kids I have talked about. And if not, good for you for not opening your eyes enough to see other types of people. I hate it when people disagree with you on something you have not said. Read and stop putting words in my mouth.

poppin cork likes this.