Grandson's buffet - Smithfield

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by gcoats3, Nov 17, 2016.

1. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried this new restaurant in Smithfield. If so, opinions?
    =====================================
    On the north side of Smithfield, Fred Chason’s Grandsons, which offers a Southern-style buffet, has opened in the former Hibachi Grill space at 1273 N. Bright Leaf Blvd.

The menu features a host of meats, including barbecue, meatloaf, pork chops, sliced ham, fish, shrimp and chicken prepared in a variety of ways.

Sides include corn on the cob, pinto beans, green beans, mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, squash, okra and rice. The dessert list has banana pudding, peach cobbler and chocolate pie.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/news/lo...ld-herald/article106094747.html#storylink=cpy

2. Judge Smails

Judge Smails Well-Known Member

I tried it about two weeks ago and came away impressed. The food and service were both good, probably comparable to McCall's BBQ and Seafood in Clayton but maybe just a tiny hair lesser quality. Price was good and I sampled a lot of different things with all tasting pretty good.

Just keep in mind it's a country style buffet, so lots of butter and greasy things. The desserts were just kind of piled up which was a bit odd but still good. Since I live in Clayton it's probably not something I'm going to drive to Smithfield specifically to visit, but if I'm in the area at meal time then I have no qualms going back.

Hught and Auxie like this.
  3. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Been to two of their other locations and it looks like they are pretty consistent.

4. PoohBear

PoohBear Well-Known Member

Dined there today. Quantity over quality. Many choices. Many mini bars, therefore they can serve a large number of customers with very little wait time. Desserts were already sliced and in individual plates covered with wrap and just stacked up (thrown) on top of each other. Lemon meringue pie was good but you only got a sliver in each serving. I would rate it a 2.5 star on 5 star chart. Food at Golden Corral and McCall's is better but not as many choices. I doubt we will return. But they will not miss us. Parking lot was full. They are serving lunch on Thanksgiving for $17. If you go, bring a appetite.

Auxie likes this.
  5. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

not a fan of Buffets to start with so doubt I will give it a try.

6. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

Haven't tried it and don't know if I will, but something tells me that if you want to you have better do it soon.

I wish them well, but it seems like they are fighting an uphill battle. If the number of other restaurants, including the Chinese place(s) in that location couldn't make it then I don't have high hopes for this one.

7. Auxie

Auxie Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of Buffets either, only because I ALWAYS eat to much when I go to them! Even when the foods not that great.

Hught likes this.
  8. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I am pretty cheap so I constantly feel that I have got to get my moneys worth. I have gone to a couple of their locations only because my In-Laws love them.

Rockyv58 likes this.
  9. Straitlover

Straitlover Well-Known Member

I hope it's better than the one in Hope Mills. Went there back in the summer and was not impressed and I love buffets!

10. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

My reasoning for disliking buffets is more about hygene than the amount of food I have to eat to get my moneys worth.