gravel

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by mandmdad, Aug 25, 2010.

1. mandmdad

mandmdad Well-Known Member

I need a load of gravel for my driveway, can anyone recommend a place to get that in Clayton? Any idea how much that costs?

Thanks!

2. old school

old school Well-Known Member

Call Robbie Matthews at Outside Matters, 919-868-8360, he is a Cleveland native, can supply and haul any material you need and will give you a fair price.

3. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

gotta throw in my 2c for the guy at the red barn on 70 in clayton. give them a call for a price quote comparison at least...

4. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

Robbie Matthews is definitely the guy to call IMHO.

Ask him about "crushed concrete", it's a good bit cheaper than gravel and it works well on our driveway. We got ~7 loads of this stuff from him last year and it's good stuff. The only warning I can give you is that there *may* be small pieces of wire in the mix. We found several pieces of this stuff in the first couple of weeks, but we made a point to take our evening walk up and down the driveway and pick it out so we didn't get any flat tires.

The wire is from the steel reinforcement that they use in some concrete- it's a little larger diameter than a wire coat hanger and could easily ruin a tire if you hit it just right.

A definite selling point for us was that Robbie's trucks are on the large side, so you get more for your money since most dump truck owners charge about the same hauling fee per trip, no matter what the size of their truck.