Great way to start the New Year

Discussion in 'Jobs Network' started by Rockyv58, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Just got laid off about from my job an hour and a half ago from my job. Happy New Years!

2. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Oh man, that sucks!!!

3. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

:iagree:

4. Rockyv58

oh i intend to. Didn't even get severance pay. Just going to get my last pay check for two weeks next week. The bright side is i get a snow day with my dogs tomorrow :)

Also I already checked in with my old job that had me out at IBM told them I am now available any time to interview. They had actually been looking for work for me for a while. When I left there almost two years ago I left on good terms. So hopefully that will help.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  5. Rockyv58

ESC

Does anyone know what time ESC opens in the morning in Smithfield?

6. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

7. Rockyv58

Since I got laid off at 3:57 today but will be paid for the whole week. Can I still file in the morning? or do I have to wait till monday?

8. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

File now. It will ask you what the last day you worked is, and then it will ask you about severance, etc.

File online, don't waste your time going to the office, and do it now, because it takes a few weeks to get it moving.

9. Rockyv58

Filed online this morning around 6am. I pulled up the pdf to do the direct deposit and have to sign it and send it back with a voided check. I had to forward it to a friend with a printer. I will be doing that part this afternoon.

10. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that. Hope things work out with IBM.

11. Rockyv58

So do I. I am actually going to email the behavorist over at the spca and ask if she has any ideas about working with special needs animals type of careers. and maybe volunteer there now till I get full time work again.

12. claytonian

claytonian Well-Known Member

I feel for ya - my husband got laid off at 5:00 today - boss told him and another guy on Wednesday, they needed to decided between the two of them which one wanted to be laid off. The other guy takes today off, leaves my husband to do the work and at 5 the boss says, well, you might has well sign up for unemployment, thanks for your help. Well - that's that.

13. Rockyv58

Damn that's a low blow that really sux for your hubby. Yea my tech lead didn't say squat just sat there. Didn't even offer to let me use him as a reference, The guy who did the actual firing told me I could use him as a reference. Have hubby sign up online. One thing I noticed this morning is hey give you a debit card if you dont sign up for direct deposit.

14. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

that really sux, so sorry to hear, it is a scary time

15. Rockyv58

I've had two people tell me this. That the company that laid me off has to pay me my vacation time. That it's actually a federal law. My company never mentioned it. Though they said they will cover my insurance till the end of the month. Could they use the excuse of covering my insurance to the end of the month to not pay me my vacation time?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  16. ForeverFaithful

ForeverFaithful Well-Known Member

I am so sorry to hear this. The new year is starting off with a bang, that is for sure. This past Monday my husband got told that at the end of the month he will be off for 2 weeks and then come back to work. It is a rotating thing, 2 weeks working, 2 weeks laid off. They are doing their unemployment thru the HR dept, but it is not going to be as much as if he were working a full week. Hopefully this won't last long and things can get back to normal. It was either this or they would have to lay off more people. Have talked to another friend of mine and she went into work on Friday and they told her to clean out her desk and to go home, they had to let her go. This was a job she just found 6 months ago and now she is right back where she started. Hope you find something soon.

17. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

I am sorry about your job loss. I hope you find something soon. Regarding vacation/sick time, it is my understanding that you are to be paid for that upon termination. My husband was let go Oct. 31 from his company. He had about 6 weeks of PTO (paid time off) built up and they paid him in a lump sum along with his final check. Got taxed to pieces, but at least it helps pay for new health insurance premiums. The thing is that you have to report that to the ESC. He did not start getting a check until this week because he had to wait for that PTO to run out, as if he had taken vacation. Then he had a "wait week" and now he finally gets his check. You definitely need to contact the HR department where you worked. You earned that time and are entitled to the money. The insurance runs through the end of the month anyway when you pay the premium at the beginning of the month. They are doing you no favors there. If you are covered on the first day, you have coverage all month. That is what they told my hubby at his company. It doesn't replace paying out vacation/sick time. Good luck!

18. claytonian

claytonian Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure I read something on the unemployment website that said employers had to pay the vacation time. Double check their website

19. bostonredhead

bostonredhead Well-Known Member

There are some considerations like how the time is classified (vacation, PTO, etc.) and whether it can be carried over or if it's use it or lose it.

So, it depends....

20. Panther Crazy

Panther Crazy Well-Known Member

I was laid off on October 1st and my company did pay for my accrued vacation hours, but I don't think they had to. I did not get compensated for PTO or sick days accrued. Good luck!