Grilled - Prime Rib

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ServerSnapper, Oct 29, 2012.

1. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

This year I am doing something different for Thanksgiving. I am attempting to cook an aged Prime rib on the grill.

I will age the prime rib for about 9 days before I start the process on the grill. So. My question to any of you is....Has anyone done a primerib on the grill? I have already ordered my 7 rib roast which is also not select grade or choice. It is Prime. So I can't screw up. Scared because of the investment in the meat and my pappy in law is coming in from Cali.

2. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

I did it 2 years ago for my b-day. USE A FOIL BAKING PAN. I had two full sized slabs on the grill without pans. A pair of welding gauntlets and a friend showing up at the right moment saved the meal. just buy a meat thermometer and google beef temps and you can't go wrong.

3. INTHEBUFF

INTHEBUFF Well-Known Member

If you can, try smoking it. We did this a couple of years ago and it was the best prime rib I've ever had and if the weather is good on Christmas day I plan on doing mine this way. I've tried several different types of heat for cooking one (smoke, grill, oven etc.) but the smoker was the best and of course a good dry rub is a major factor as well. Low and slow.

4. 26.2

26.2 Well-Known Member

I do it on the Weber. Off to the side--indirect heat--with a drip pan on the charcoal grate---not the grill itself.