GSK volunteers flying from Philadelphia to help Cleveland Library

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Ron Still, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Ron Still

Ron Still Well-Known Member

As GSK again picks up the cost of its workers coming into communities to share their time and abilities improving the lives of those living there, Cleveland residents will have a visit from Philadelphia based GSK employees, who will help the 42,862 40/42 area residents (22% children) get the library they need and deserve. That's 42,862 people living within five miles of the intersection of I-40 and N.C. 42 and the Cleveland Library at 5533 N.C. HWY 42 W STE 96, Garner. Johnston County GIS also released the numbers in the 10-mile population circle around 40/42 as 162,126.

The notification E-mail arrived at the Library and said:

"I spoke with the [GSK] group this morning and they told me that they will be able to be there from 11:30 - 4:30 [September 21], with time for a lunch break. A group of volunteers is flying in from Philadelphia in the morning and they will have a meeting at their offices and then come over to your site. I am planning on being there myself, so I will be there a bit early to meet you and greet these folks when they arrive."

The volunteers will help the library reset its books after the Baptist Women raised money for the boards and screws that the Baptist Men used to build the new bookcases. Although volunteers are still loading the books, the community should gain access to 20,000 books. The bookmobile is almost finished and is due a final paint job. It will be used along side of the library to house the adult fiction collection for a while. The Baptist Men are discussing the possibility of adding 50 more bookcases.

Earlier this year, more than 900 volunteers spent time at the Cleveland Library as part of their day of giving. In return Disney Corporation offered them a day pass at the park of their choice. Some of the volunteers drove from New Bern, Fayetteville, and the Triad.

The library and computer lab are open 32 hours weekly, but due to a volunteer shortage, they change daily. For the hours and other library information, go to http://4042needs.org/library/. Volunteers are needed to clean books, label them for shelving, shelve books, and check out and return books.

Come out and thank the GSK folks.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010