Guinea Hens Traffic Hazard

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by daisy8869, Jul 3, 2012.

1. daisy8869

daisy8869 Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knew if it was against a code or law to keep guinea hens on property outside of city limits that are free range? By free range, I mean under no control whatsoever and can cross a two lane road that is a main route to hwy 70 at will.

I travel on this road nearly everyday and there is a residence that keeps the guineas. The house is on the bad side of a curve and I cannot count the number of times I have had to slam on brakes to allow the guineas to cross the road. The situation just keeps getting worse as now the guineas chase cars. I am worried that not only will I end up running over them but could also cause an accident given the placement of the curve.

I tried calling animal control but they said outside city limits they have limited power unless there is evidence of neglect?

I live about five miles from this house so I do not know the people or else I would have contacted them directly.

2. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Stop swerving. Problem solved.

3. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

call Johnston County Animal Control, they handle outside the city limits.

4. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

agreed.

5. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Its called dinner

Just needs bacon!

6. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

*** There is NO REASON you should put yourself in danger by slamming on brakes or swerving to avoid a hen, dog, cat, whatever... don't kill yourself or wreck your car ***

There is a house I pass everyday that has them and I've never seen them IN the road or cross the road, they are DAMN close to the edge and I'm sure I'll see one or more of them dead sooner than later :?

7. siameselover

siameselover Well-Known Member

are these the ones on cole road? they have a sign that says guinea crossing. if they were mine i would build a nice large closed in area for them(they have alot of room)for the birds safety along with the cars driving by.they must not care about them that much to just let them roam on a main road like cole

8. daisy8869

daisy8869 Well-Known Member

Yep, that is exactly what I am talking about. If they really cared about them they would build a pen instead of a sign and take responsibility for their animals.

Oh and I have seen quite a few of them end up as road kill, they used to have about a dozen, now it's about 6.

I will call animal control after the holiday.

9. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

:iagree:

10. siameselover

siameselover Well-Known Member

they also have a big metal sign with go with jesus spray painted in their yard.i guess it means for the hens since they keep getting killed.