Halloween events

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by bandmom, Oct 6, 2010.

1. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

2. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

you know in growing up, there was never any question about what day halloween was.....it was always Oct. 31 no matter what day of the week it was that was when we went trick or treating.......damned PC nut cases wanna screw with everything now.

3. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

The main thing about it being on Sunday is that for those kids that regularly attend evening worship, it forces families to choose between that or trick-or-treating. Furthermore, even for those parents whose kids do not go to church on Sunday evening, it can mean that some neighbors might not be home to give out candy if they decide its more important to go to church. Of course, some churches modify the trick-or-treat events by doing fall festivals at their churches and doing 'trunk or treat.'

I, personally don't make a lot of halloween, yet I understand the fun factor for kids to dress up and partake in trick or treating. Where I come from, it was always moved to another night. To me, unless you treat halloween like a religious experience, it shouldn't matter if its done on the 29th or 30th. Heck, some municipalities move Fourth of July festivities to the 3rd or 5th and that seems more inappropriate then moving trick-or-treat. I can't see kids caring what night its on.

Has anyone heard when Factory Stores in Smithfield will have their trick or treat?

4. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

Well said. So tired of this garbage. We attend church & can tell you are kids will be trick or treating on Halloween. When we grew up, the entire neighborhood would participate. Houses were decorated, some handed out hot cider to the grown ups while walking, spirits were high & fun was being had by all. All the girls tended to be some type of princesses and the boys whatever character seemed to be out that year. I really don't see the harm in a little boy being a ninja turtle or a little girl being a fairy princess for one night a year. I think it is SO cool to see the wonderful costumes everyone comes up with. I lived in Jacksonville, NC when in elementary school. I clearly remember EVERYONE dressing up, even the teachers on Halloween...at school. It was fantastic! We all went to the basketball courts and there were costume contests for most original. BTW, about killed my mom the year she made me a pumpkin. LOL. No one mentioned a single thing about it being against their religion or anything. No one was uptight. It was just honest to goodness FUN. And you know what, that day we all dressed up, we all had a fall carnival at the school that same weekend & raised tons of money for the school. Now, they can't call it a Halloween Party, it is a Fall party. Really?! ARe we that PC even in elementary school? I could care less. I found halloween napkins so that's what I'll send in. Just tired of every little thing being analyzed all the time. Drives me bonkers. Okay, done ranting. Now, everyone go out & get some great chocolate!

5. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

searching for the "like" button:lol:

6. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

7. artis

artis Well-Known Member

...and you didn't knock on doors/ring door bells if there were no lights on.

8. CAROLINA SUN

CAROLINA SUN Well-Known Member

TELL them Craig!!! Love it.....:banghead:

9. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

And you didn't leave your lights on with no decorations and/or with no intentions of hosting Trick or Treaters.

10. Ron Still

Ron Still Well-Known Member

Greater Cleveland event is Trunk or Treat at JCC Cleveland

Last year, the Greater Cleveland Chamber of Commerce held it at the Cleveland Fire Department and there was a need for more parking.

If the weather is dry, Cleveland Library will be giving away children's books and the standard offer for library cards. Cleveland Library has enough extra books that it isn't going to lose bragging rights that Cleveland Township has the largest privately funded community library in North Carolina - at least 15,000 in the children's library and 85,000 in the adult collection. Donors and volunteers keep the doors open and collection growing.

The library is at 5533 NC HWY 42 W STE 96, Garner, NC 27529 - otherwise turn off 42 between Monkey Ink and Bojangle's, go to the back parking lot, turn right, go to the end and look around for STE D96 with a 40' white bookmobile parked in front; 919-661-6565. Schedule and more information is at http://4042needs.org/library/

11. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

I'd like to interject a Halloween rant/request/tip to go along with the light on/off info. - If there is a bowl of candy left out for you to help yourselves, please only take a piece or two. Because the owners did this out of the goodness of their own hearts, DON'T TAKE THE WHOLE DAMN BOWL! And to who ever you kids were I SAW do that to my house the other year?! You can KMA! I took my kids out to enjoy themselves too and as we were walking away from our own house I saw the group of you snag the whole bowl. Selfish little ****s. You should be ashamed.

Rant off.

12. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Towns Schedule Trick-Or-Treating On Different Dates
    Mayor Daniel Evans announced this week the Town of Smithfield would allow Halloween Trick-or-Treating on Saturday night, October 30 this year. Kenly, Benson, Princeton and Four Oaks all plan similar events Saturday night. Some other local towns plan to allow trick-or-treating on Sunday night, including Selma, Clayton, Garner, Zebulon, Wendell, Raleigh, and Wake Forest. Although ordinances vary from town to town, most municipalities restrict trick-or-treating to children under age 13, and it be conducted no later than 8:30pm. Parents are encouraged to accompany their children, dress them in safe costumes, trick-or-treat in groups when possible, and watch out for traffic and other hazards.

In Clayton, the Parks and Recreation department is sponsoring a Halloween Fun Ride for children 12 and under on Friday, October 22 at the Clayton Community Park. A Halloween Parade will be held Friday, October 29, with trick-or-treaters to be treated by Main Street businesses and youth make their way to the Town Square for games, treats, and other activities. File photo by Carter Rabil
    http://www.1270wmpm.com/

13. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

So I guess this means that again this year we have to plan for both nights since we do not fall within any of those municipalities.

14. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

:evil::evil::evil: i am gonna just do it on Halloween this time, if they come Sat nite i will just say we are celebrating Halloween, not Halloween Eve at my house. Last time this happened, we had a lot of the same kids come both nights:evil:

15. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Well-Known Member

You could always put caution tape across your steps with a sign :) I might do that :)

16. nsanemom22

1. Leave the light off - letting them know you aren't participating. Their 1st warning
    2. Don't buy the candy until Sunday. So when you gasp and say, "It's not Halloween yet, I haven't bought any candy!", you aren't lying so that guilty conscience won't bite you in the ***.
    3. Go out Saturday night! It IS Saturday! :cheers:

17. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

Halloween is October 31st. That's when I will be passing out candy. end of story.

18. nsanemom22

I'm not worried about Saturday or Sunday. We get maybe 2 kids a year. One year two girls came by about 830 headed towards the dead end of the road. I told them if they stopped again on their way back through I'd give them the rest of it. It's a dead end but it's a long dead end and I didn't know if any one else was coming. But it was theirs for the taking. They didn't stop. Must have scared 'em. lol They must have thought I was just another crazy old white woman.

19. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

We never get trick or treaters, makes me sad. We used to go all out with the decorations complete with a huge animated spider. I don't bother any more.

20. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

When we lived at Broadmoor, I'd make baggies FULL of candy for the neighors kids (that I liked-lol) and we'd always leave or turn the light OFF if we were home.

I hate halloween anyway so I dont care if anyone comes by. :lol:
    Less $$ to spend, so there!:twisted: