Have you been laid off?

Discussion in 'Jobs Network' started by swinkles, Jan 6, 2009.

1. swinkles

swinkles Well-Known Member

I am being laid off at the end of Jan. Anyone having any luck finding anything?

2. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry to hear that!

I'll keep my ears open for you. E-mail me your resume and I'll shoot it out to everyone.

3. carolinasun

carolinasun Well-Known Member

The best thing for you to do is to get down to Employment Security and file as soon as it happens. They also have job listings for you to look at. They normally have about 30,000 filing each week but last week they had so many it crashed the system, about 130,000 filed. So you aren't alone, our economy is dead!! GOOD LUCK :hurray::grouphug:

4. bostonredhead

bostonredhead Well-Known Member

You can file online too - right?

5. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

6. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Depends on what profession, I believe. Clif Posted a few links on here for people to use in job hunting. First thing is unemployment after getting laid off but I'd work that resume and start sending it out.

Good luck,
    Sherry

7. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

I got laid off on Friday. DO NOT FILE FOR UN-EMPLOYMENT ONLINE!!! They are saying it will delay your claim for 4 weeks or more or even lost!!

The lines at the ESC are unbelievable! Out the door and around the block! Bring a sleeping bag & food & drinks!!!!! Go early and camp out. Just make believe it's a Christmas sale at WalMart.:lol::lol:

I'm in construction and they said I'll be I'll be on un-employment for a long, long, long, long time.

I told the guy at ESC that I'd like to sell drinks, food & reading material to the people in line and they wouldn't have to pay me unenployment. He said they would not allow that.

Typical government office, I find a great job oportunity, and they don't have to pay me, and they say no!!!!

Anyone looking for PC repair, I'm available!!!!!!!

8. seabee

seabee Guest

What line of construction work.... It is dismal but I think depending on what you do there may be something that pops up now and then.

9. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry to hear that. I know a lot of us who are related to the construction industry are hurting.

10. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Well-Known Member

DH filed online last week, and he's had no problems, received information in the mail already, and his case worker called him a few days later. So far everything seems to be in order for him, I really hope it is, lol

11. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Good luck to your DH:grouphug:

12. CrazyFabulous

CrazyFabulous Well-Known Member

that is my industry and i hear more and more everyday. sad and skery!

13. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

me too... I know in the last few months we laid-off 3 boom truck drivers & 5 toters. Then this week, we've cut back hours on our warehouse, yard and inside sales guys. No one is under 40 hrs, they're just trying to work some of what we're paying out in overtime down.

14. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

my DH's too and they just experienced a second round of layoffs since right before Christmas - scary - thank goodness DH and DS have not been affected yet.

15. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Well-Known Member

Thanks Kaci, like many others he was in construction, hey, he survived 6 layoff's, it could be worse, right?

16. Bren

Bren Well-Known Member

We're in landscaping/design/irrigation and have laid off everybody we had working in Charlotte (about 8 people) and 1 person here in Raleigh. Thank goodness, for now, it looks like we have enough work for 5 more months....hopefully something else will come up before then.

Bren

17. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

Around here it seems like the construction industry is hurting the worst and being followed up by the auto industry...

18. ForeverFaithful

ForeverFaithful Well-Known Member

I have been having some problems with unemployment also. When I file, I get told there is an unsolved issue. I was given a number to call, to which I cannot get thru!!

So far, for me, still no luck in the jobs department. I have sent out several resumes but nothing yet.

It is really starting to hurt us here. My DH had to take a 5% paycut, will show on this paycheck and we are praying that he does not get laid off. We both worked for the same company.

I wish everyone luck and am praying that things will get better for all of us soon!

19. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Was the number 888-737-0259?

The same thing happened to me.

I finally called 919-707-1290 and spoke with a human being. She said, in effect, that the reason I had an unresolved issue was because I had severance pay. For some reason (and no one is told), when you initially file, if you say there is severance, the claim is flagged for adjudication. She said it will take six to eight weeks from the day I initially filed for it to be processed, but I would receive all the back unemployment in one lump sum (not counting the first week, which no one ever gets).

20. Jeepgirl

Jeepgirl Well-Known Member

I was supposed to be laid off on 12/31, but another department within our company needed some help for a couple of months so now, it looks like the end of February for me. This is the 4th time in 7 years that I have been laid off and it sucks. I am so tired of being laid off!!

I have sent out lots of resumes since October when we were first told and I have had 1 interview and was WAY too overqualified for the job according to the guy I interviewed with.

With that said...what is the consensus? File online or in person for unemployment?

It seems like every time I get laid off the ESC gets worse and worse...or is it that the older I get the less patience I have?