Healthy snacks

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by CrazyFabulous, Jan 13, 2010.

1. CrazyFabulous

CrazyFabulous Well-Known Member

what is your favorite healthy snack? i need more to pick from.

right now i am diggin the special k multi grain crackers. YUM!

2. Redneck Rich

Redneck Rich Well-Known Member

Pickeled pigs feet is pretty good just for snackin' when you're on the go.

I like that special K cereal with them real chocolate chunks in it. Thats some good eatin' as well.

3. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Dehydrated tropical fruit

4. CrazyFabulous

CrazyFabulous Well-Known Member

love that cereal too! all of the special k's are good eatin!! AND the special k bars!

5. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

Just picked up some Kellogg's Special K Strawberry Fruit Crisps at BJ's this past weekend. You get two in a package and they are like mini-pop tarts. They are only 100 calories and really delicious! You can really taste the filling! I haven't seen them in the stores yet but BJ's carries them.

6. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I eat proportioned cheese slices, cashews, apples, blueberries, etc. Of course, not everyday, but I try to. For an in-between sweet treat, I'll do one of the 100 cal. Quaker Oats peanut butter granola bars. I try to shoot for no more than 1800 calories a day, which seems to match my metabolism and exercise regiment.

7. shardee428

shardee428 Well-Known Member

Something I need to do now that I have done in the past is bring grapes to work. They are great for munching on while doing work and so good for you.

8. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

UTZ Salt n Vinegar chips and Jolly Ranchers

9. shygrrl

shygrrl Well-Known Member

I love grapes too but the last time I was in Walmart, grapes were $3.88 a pound!!! And on sale at Food Lion for $2.99 a pound! Is Chile having floods or something???

10. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Yes! Healthy is eating only half the bag.

11. JellyBean

JellyBean Well-Known Member

I don't mean this as a holier than thou type attitudue. It is my PASSION to educate others about what is really in their food, how to make simple adjustments to make better selections. I feel the same way about chemicals in our body care products. Call me greenie, granola, crunchy..whatever but I have learned over the last few years some scary information that caused me to change my life and that of my family. However, I am never going to be perfect or be able to do it 100% but I will do my best.

So please please take this with the love and caring it's meant with.

Some not so good ingredients....

Berry Crips
    ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMIN MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], RIBOFLAVIN [VITAMIN B2], FOLIC ACID), SUGAR, GLYCEROL, FRUCTOSE, VEGETABLE OIL (SOYBEAN, PALM, AND PALM KERNEL OIL WITH TBHQ FOR FRESHNESS AND PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN AND COTTONSEED OIL)†, DEXTROSE, MALTODEXTRIN, CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF MODIFIED CORN STARCH, APPLE POWDER, NONFAT MILK, REDUCED MINERAL WHEY, STRAWBERRY PUREE CONCENTRATE, INVERT SUGAR, LEAVENING (BAKING SODA, SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE, MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE), SOY LECITHIN, SALT, CORNSTARCH, DATEM , NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, CELLULOSE GEL, CITRIC ACID, MALIC ACID, SODIUM CITRATE, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, CELLULOSE GUM, CARAMEL COLOR, TRICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, SODIUM ALGINATE, COLOR ADDED, XANTHAN GUM, RED #40 LAKE, VANILLA EXTRACT, BHT FOR FRESHNESS.

Also:
    Granola Bars (Quaker)

Ingredients
    GRANOLA (WHOLE GRAIN ROLLED OATS, SUGAR, CRISP RICE [RICE FLOUR, SUGAR, SALT, MALTED BARLEY EXTRACT], WHOLE GRAIN ROLLED WHEAT, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN AND COTTONSEED OILS* WITH TBHQ AND CITRIC ACID ADDED TO PRESERVE FRESHNESS AND/OR SUNFLOWER OIL WITH NATURAL TOCOPHEROL ADDED TO PRESERVE FRESHNESS, WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR, MOLASSES, SODIUM BICARBONATE, SOY LECITHIN, CARAMEL COLOR, NONFAT DRY MILK), CRISP RICE (RICE FLOUR, SUGAR,BARLEY MALT, SALT), CORN SYRUP, INVERT SUGAR, PEANUTBUTTER (PEANUTS, SUGAR, HYDROGENATED COTTONSEED AND/OR RAPESEED OIL, SALT), SUGAR, GLYCERIN, CORN SYRUP SOLIDS. CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF SORBITOL, CALCIUM CARBONATE, SALT, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, BHT (PRESERVATIVE), CITRIC ACID

Grapes are great...just buy USA only as other countries (CHILE) do not have the same regulations against harmful pesticides and chemicals on their food crops.

I know, I know...but here are some alternatives:

Target's Archer Farms brand has a TON of healthier granola bars/fruit bars (like nutrigrain), fruit leathers..and they were just on sale.

Raw (unsalted, unflavored) almonds, walnuts mixed with dried cranberries or raisin...yummy..even add some carob chips for that chocolate flavor (they really are not that bad!)

Fruit or crakcers with all natural peanut butter (Jiff has a natural peanut butter that can be stored in the pantry and does not need to be stirred)

String cheese

Herbal Tea

Raw veggies and dip

Happy Eating...it's a daily "adventure" for me too!

12. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

Love unsalted walnuts and almonds; also, I bake up a few cans of drained garbanzo beans seasoned with cajun seasoning/smoked paprika or herbs. They dry nicely and satisfy that need for something crunchy.

13. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Thanks JellyBean for the info. It is hard to find snacks for Diabetics that don't have so much sugar in them or carbs or calories! You had some good ideas.

14. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

I don't eat healthy food, if I don't have to.

The teen likes bagels with peanut butter. :ack:

Sherry

15. wed2x

wed2x Well-Known Member

String cheese with an apple is one of my favorite post workout snacks. I also munch on baby carrots.

16. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

why eat healthy? Ea all the junk food you can....with all the preservatives they contain you'll last forever.

:jester:

17. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

I try to eat as healthy as I can so I can drink all that I want.

18. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

well drinking is healthy.....or at least all natural at least beer and wine is.

19. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

Ranch flavored Quakes
    Skinny Cow Mint Icecream sandwiches
    Yoplait Light Fat Free Key Lime or Orange Cream Yogurt

20. Tweetyluvzme

Tweetyluvzme Well-Known Member

I recently discovered fruit leather and OMG it is so goood!!!