Heart Worms

Discussion in 'Cat Dog' started by froggerplus, May 5, 2006.

1. froggerplus

froggerplus Well-Known Member

Need some advice....

After being attacked and bitten (in her own yard :? ), I took my dog to the vet for a check up. The fighting is ok, she doesn't have a scratch left. What she does have, however, is heart worms :cry: . Dr. M said it was early enough to be treatable, but it's going to be a long road.

For approx 3 weeks, she (the dog) has to stay "cool and calm". Now, coming in the house is not an option. I have a screened back porch, ceiling fan, box fans...but she'll see things walking thru the back yard and jump & bark. The garage is always cool but not doggie proof. I don't have an extr, extra large cage and will not buy one (I have money for the treatment or the cage, not both).

Any suggestions on how to keep a 77 lb dog cool and calm for 3 weeks??

Thanks,
    Frogger

2. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

Tequila??

:p

Sorry hun, just joshing with ya. Sorry to hear about the doggie, wish I had some solid advice, but I'm at a loss. Is there a reason she can't stay in the house, like maybe in the bathroom during the day or something?

Good luck....

3. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

I hope they informed you of the potential problems with the treatment. Our lab was tested twice for heartworms because the tests were not clear. In the end they wanted to be "safe" and treat her in any case. We kept her in the house and calm and everything was fine until she started having problems a couple of years later. It seems the treatment for heartworms also destroys the liver in some dogs and she was "some dogs" in this case. The sad part about it is that she would have lived longer and had a better life without the treatment IF she had really had heartworms .....

4. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

Talk toyour vet and see if they will rent you or let you borrow an extra large crate for her while she is going through the treatment. And if your won't Call Vets for Pets in Dunn...Dr. Beretich. He is AWESOME!

And I am so glad that she isn't very progressed into the heartworms. One of our English bull dogs had that many many years ago (My he rest in peace) and he had to stay at the vet for about 2 weeks on high powered IV's It got pretty spendy. But it was worth it, because he was our baby boy!

That stuff isnt' fun and I wish your dog the best! Good Luck.

5. PLRL

PLRL Guest

I'm not trying to start an argument, but are you the FROG that said you never let your dog inside because he's as big as a horse and wouldn't be happy?
    If so, and your dog loves to be outside with no company, people or dog interaction and forced to endure hot NC heat, rain storms and snow, insects, and mosquitoes, why did you NOT put him on a Heartworm Preventative
    ?

6. JenniferK

Yes you are.

7. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

exactly what I was thinking... :roll:

8. PLRL

PLRL Guest

Moonlighting as a "MEDIUM" now?

9. JenniferK

Yep, how'd you guess? You reading tarot cards? :D

10. Virginia Ann

Virginia Ann Guest

:( :( :( :( :cry: :cry: :cry:

11. zookeeper

zookeeper Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your pooch. While the treatment can be dangerous, they actually poison the heartworms...it has saved more lives than it has taken. However, noone wants their dog to be the one out of 10 that don't fare that well.

Keeping the dog as calm as possible is a must, or they can throw a clot and that is a big time woe.

If you have access to a truck, I would be glad to lend you a 10 X 10 kennel that I keep for emergencies. You are more than welcome to borrow it while your doggie undergoes treatment. You can attach tarps with bungies so she will have a limited view of whats going on around her.

Give me a call if you want to borrow it 934-9438 I'd say pm me, but really busy over the weekends and might not get a chance to check email.

Vickie

12. froggerplus

n/p Jen :)

She can't stay in the house 'cuz of the allergic thing. That and she'd tear up the door trying to get out of the room.

If it were for a few days, even a week, I think they would be able to tolerate it. But 3 weeks? Ain't happenin.

13. froggerplus

Wayne~

Dr. M informed me...very well. To say I was scared $#%^less is an understatement. I asked a gajillion questions and did further research on my own. I made the call yesterday, saying I was ready to look into the treatments.

I just have to cross my fingers on this one :(

14. froggerplus

thanks, kookoo. I didn't think to ask her if they rent that kind of stuff. That would really help!

15. froggerplus

#1. YES, you are trying to start an argument.
    #2. No, I never said my dog can't come inside because of size.
    #3. My dog is part of our pack. She has friends with which to play during the day, a place to stay cool in the heat and warm in the cold, is never outside over or under certain temperatures, and is totally secure.
    #4. My dog is a SHE.
    #5. SHE has limited time inside because of a severe allergy to her. She is very pack-oriented and gets to spend a lot of QT with her pack. She is well fed, well kept, and extremely happy.
    #6. She's been on heartworm meds since she was old enough to take them. When we were moving, I ran out and (again, with the move), forgot to get it refilled. I've already admitted to that and take responsibility for it.
    #7. Having said that ^^^, heartworm pills are not 100%. There is still a chance they'll get them.
    #8. Back the heck off, you troll. SHE is a part of my pack. I'm the alpha and look after my entire pack. I would never knowingly put her in danger, and you're a true prick for suggesting it.

Frogger

16. froggerplus

Ken, really?? Will it hold her? She's 77 lbs and, well, a lab. If it'll work for her, I'm in your debt!

Frogger

17. froggerplus

Thanks, Vickie, and everyone. I'll talk everything over with DH and see. We're doing a lot of cleaning the next few weekends, so we'll see about our available space. Vickie, is it ok to call you and ask a few questions?

Frogger

18. tawiii

tawiii Guest

Why do you need to keep the dog "cool and calm" for 3 weeks? I see zoo says they poison the heartworms but what happens after that?

19. ready2cmyKing

ready2cmyKing Well-Known Member

Evidently keeping the dog calm and cool is a major concern when it comes to HW treatment.

Frogger, after reading the info above, I'm thinking that you might want to get a crate (not pen) and keep your dog crated in a cool place inside the house during treatment.

20. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

And if that isn't possible (with your allergies), maybe PLRL will foster her for those two weeks since she is so concerned. 8)