Heat Pump

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by From the Sea to NC, Jan 2, 2010.

1. From the Sea to NC

From the Sea to NC Well-Known Member

Does anyone know of anyone who can repair a heat pump A.S.A.P. Heat has gone out and need fixed tonight. Thanks.

2. From the Sea to NC

3. Daredevil

Daredevil Well-Known Member

does your thermostat have an emergency heat switch on it?

4. From the Sea to NC

no. it is 56 degrees in here

5. Daredevil

Make sure it isnt something simple like the breaker being off. I'd go get a cheap electric space heater for where I sleep.

6. Panther Crazy

Panther Crazy Well-Known Member

I feel for you, brother! I went through the same thing last year. Call Refrigeration and Heating Experts. They are local and really know their stuff. They worked on mine, charged me a fair price, and I haven't had a lick of trouble since. The number is 919.773.9223. Good luck

7. From the Sea to NC

not the breaker, That was the first thing I checked. I am awaiting a repair guy right now. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Actually not that bad if you get used to it, but wife does not like it one bit.

8. Daredevil

Good luck!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  9. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

was it something simple? Just went through the same thing. The repair guy told us we needed a new furnace. Got another guy out here and he said that the repair man was just wanting to sell us another furnace. Just need a new switch.

10. From the Sea to NC

It was the heat pump itself. We had it replaced $575.00. Couldn't afford it but that's what credit cards are for.

11. Panther Crazy

That's seems really, really cheap for a new heat pump. May I ask which company you used? I think there may be an issue going on here.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  12. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

WOW! Must have been your day with that price.

13. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Dude, there is no way you can get a brand new heat pump for $575, not even at cost. :?

14. claytonian

claytonian Well-Known Member

Boy, it must have been your lucky day -- be very thankful that is all you had to pay.

My first thought was the same - we paid that price six years when we had to replace our's because it got fried when the electric came back on after the ice storm just before Christmas. This past summer, we paid almost twice that for just the heat pump (though nothing wrong with the unit we had - had to replace the air handler and apparently, they no longer sell the air handler that is compatible with a 10 SER heat pump) and that was with a discount our friend gave us.

15. From the Sea to NC

The guy who replaced the pump had a used heat pump at his shop. When I called him for service he asked me what brand and BTU of the unit we had and he said he had a used pump that he has guaranteed for 1 yr that he would replace for me for $575.00 After he got out here and diagnosed that it was in fact the pump, we did the deal. Heat is working fine now.8)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  16. Panther Crazy

Would you mind telling me who the guy was? I'm going to reserve any further comment other than to say that I was like 10 minutes away for falling for a "used heat pump" scam. I'm not trying to worry you, but if it's the same guy that almost got me then we need to talk. Please PM me so as not to drag anyone's good name through the mud. It's important!

17. claytonian

claytonian Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I didn't realize they sold used ones - I have a 10 SER here that has some life left in it I could sell him.

18. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I was thinking.