Heat Sinks

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by ddrdan, Nov 25, 2012.

1. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

I was wondering if any of you tech engineers know why they now solder heat sinks to the board?

I started disassembling an 80's model Sansui Receiver today to diagnose a channel output problem. And it reminded me how easy it was in the past to test & repair components around sinks. It was always just 1 or 2 screws from the bottom to remove a sink. Some had legs that you just un-bend. It made it so much easier to prob with a scope when you could get the large obstructions off the board easily.

It's too much trouble to get a heat sink off now. Even a solder sucker won't get the massive amounts of solder they use in one try. And braid just makes it worse.

And with the new power supply boards for TV's, they stack heat sinks in parallel where you can't get at the screw to detach the individual components from the sink. Even right angle screw drivers won't fit between them! You have to de-solder a complete line of 3 to 4 pin components and the heat sink. What a pain!!

I guess if it's a non-service design they know they'll sell more replacement boards?

PS: I want a new oscilloscope. I'm impressed with the newer USB oscilloscope capabilities. I'd like to try one, but would like to hear hands on reviews first if anyone is using one?