Help with Internet While Camping

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by gardnerjanelle, Apr 25, 2005.

1. gardnerjanelle

gardnerjanelle Well-Known Member

We generally spend most weekends camping once May hits. I am currently attending school online for my bachelors. I have a laptop and roadrunner at home. I figure I need some kind of satellite or wireless connection for say camping at Jordan lake as they have no phone hook ups available.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction for what may best suit my needs?

2. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

I agree that the cellular modem is going to be the best bet. As devilock76 mentioned, it depends on what package you have with your provider and what phone you are using.

One thing to check out is a company called Gomadic. They make custom cables for this purpose that also handle making your phone look like a modem to your PC.

I use Nextel with a Motorola i90c phone. Their data kit at the time was overpriced, and then I came across Gomadic. Bought the cable that matched my phone, and a connector for my PDA and one for my laptop. Total cost was around $60 I believe, and it works great. Gives me a backup method to get online if a landline or network connection isn't available.

Here's the link to their site.

http://www.gomadic.com

3. gardnerjanelle

I have an i30sx Motorola thru Nextel. I will definitely ck out the link - I can't beat $60 if it works and frees us up!

4. gardnerjanelle

I wound up ordering a new phone...the i205 which is internet compatible. I ordered the data cord from the site above.

Now, I'm not very technologically advanced.....with Nextel, if I purchase the $19.99 Data Plan......is that enough? Does it work off my phone minutes? I'm hoping to get out of having to call CS back again! :wink:

5. space_cowboy

space_cowboy Well-Known Member

i sure hope youre a very patient person...last i checked the speeds were around 14.4 kbps :shock:

6. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I've got Roadrunner at home and a WIFI card in my laptop. I would like to sit on the couch while I am "working" from home. What do I need to do?

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Well-Known Member

Wireless router

8. appcomm

appcomm Well-Known Member

You'll need a wireless router as racecitync mentioned. There's a lot of decent ones on the consumer market by Dlink, Netgear, Linkysys, etc.

The Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router is very popular, easy to setup and manage and gets high ratings.

You'll find more info on it here:

http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=601

You should find it on the shelf at CompUSA, BestBuys, etc. for around $69.

Just make sure if you setup a wireless router in your house that you take the time to setup the security that comes with it or you may find yourself sharing your Internet connection with the next door neighbors.

9. space_cowboy

space_cowboy Well-Known Member

ditto. at least set up WEP, its very simple and only takes a few minutes. the wireless g model he mentioned is great. i have the same router and have had zero problems so far.