Help with my dog -Repost

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by King Of Clean, Jan 31, 2015.

1. King Of Clean

King Of Clean Active Member

I posted this in the Cat Dog forum but it did not get much exposure so I'm going to try here. I really need the advice and/or help.

I'm hoping someone can give me advice and/or direct help with my dog. He is a Jack Russell terrier and we love him very much. 99% of the time he is a loving dog and has been a beloved member of our family. Unfortunately he bit a young family member pretty badly last weekend. He has been impounded by the JoCo animal shelter for observation and will be released soon.

Here's the dilemma: Obviously our dog can no longer live with us. My initial reaction was to put him to sleep when he gets out of the shelter because he is a biter. However, my wife loves this dog like a son and can't stand the idea of putting him to sleep. My wife and I came up with two alternatives but I don't know how viable they are. I've heard that there is a no kill shelter in the area that is more like a farm than a shelter. If that's true then we could put him there with the understanding that he not be adopted. I don't know if they do that or not and I don't know the name of the place. The other alternative is to give him to a single person. There is a specific reason for this and also this is my second posting in Cat Dog:

I think that the child makes the dog nervous. In the morning when the child first wakes up he is licking her face like crazy. Just loves her. Then later in the day he will growl at her whenever she gets near him. She is very active so I think that's what makes the dog nervous. Also over the the years our dog has bitten other members of the family. For some reason if someone is lying down on either the couch or bed and is approached by someone, he has bitten that person. For instance, one time I fell asleep on the couch and my wife came to wake me up. He bit her when she got close to me. Nothing that breaks the skin, but it's more than a nip. That only happens once in a blue moon. I think the last time it happened was three years ago.

We talked to a couple of dog trainers about this problem and the only thing they recommended was general obedience training. Other than the biting problem the dog is very obedient. There's just something that triggers him.

The bottom line is this: regardless of the reason he bites, we can't have him in our home any longer. I simply can't take the chance that he'll bite the child again. We love our dog, but when it comes down to a choice between him and the child, obviously the dog is going, period. I'm hoping that we don't have to put him to sleep but if that's the only alternative that's what we'll have to do. We would gladly give him to a single person with no reservation at all but not to a family. If anyone knows the name of a no kill shelter or a single person who would adopt him it would be a great relief to us.

Thank you so much!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  2. tukasiya

tukasiya Well-Known Member

It's one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't situations. I would at least try the obedience training before I would even consider putting the dog down. Jack Russells can be rather high-strung, IMO. I sheltered one for a few days.

It appears that he is a very protective dog. I have one of those. She is a sweetheart, but she would scare you half to death if you came into my house and she did not know you. She has never bitten anyone, but you really never know what a dog is going to do, even the most laid-back ones. Good luck to you.

3. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

It sounded like you had an option of giving it to a single person, I would think this is your best option if training again is not an option.

4. King Of Clean

The single person option is still open and the one we are hoping for. Our dog has three more days before he can leave the pound. The problem with the training is that I can't take him back home and run the risk of something even worse happening.

Thanks for your thoughts.

5. snowdio

snowdio Well-Known Member

I know I'll get blasted for commenting but oh well.
    I'm not saying you are a bad person and I'm sure you have good intentions but I think what you are doing is terrible. I'm sorry but that's just how I feel.
    You claim you love your dog very much and that 99% of the time he is a loving dog but yet you are treating him like disposable property. You're ready to just dump him somewhere or with someone else to take care of your problem. I'm not saying biting someone is not serious. It IS serious, I understand that but dumping him off somewhere is not a good solution. That's why people sicken me. Everyone wants a pet but when something goes wrong, they are the first one's to suffer. They are God's creatures and need to be protected too. Would you turn your back on your kids if they did something horrible? Of course not but because it's a dog you think it's OK. I'm sorry but if you make a commitment to have a pet it should be a lifetime commitment. That's why our shelters are overcrowded and animals are put down. It's because PEOPLE only care about themselves. Dogs do not hate, they do not know greed, they are loyal and would lay down their life for their owners, and all they want is our love yet so many people do not think twice about getting rid of them if something tough comes along.

Again I'm sorry for dumping like this but I just feel sad for the animals in these situations.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  6. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

And the board idiot returns with more stupid comments.....................................dogs are people too!!!!!!!!!!!

7. snowdio

snowdio Well-Known Member

Actually poppin cork, I wouldn't insult a dog by saying that since I know unfortunately you are a representative of a person :cheers:

8. King Of Clean

Food for thought, snowdio.This is an agonizing decision for me and we are torn about it and we are sad, too. We by no means want to throw the dog away. I contacted R.U.F.F. yesterday and got some great advice which we are going to follow. It involves having our dog evaluated to see if the biting is something that can be fixed. Hopefully this will all work out for the best.

But please, don't let this thread become a ****ing match between two people. I'm looking for advice, not insults between posters. Thanks.

9. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

No problem. My apologies. I'm out.

10. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

While I do wish something had happened (training) the VERY first time this happened ...even a nip..., isn't life full of "should, could, would" statements? I am so glad you have gotten guidance from a organization that I hope and pray knows something about behavioral therapy in animals. And, no, I don't believe you are "throwing the dog away" or you wouldn't even be trying to find an alternative for him when he is released (I think you mentioned it is a him).

Of course, my husband would say, sorry....dogs been here longer! LOL

Best of luck to you all....esp the furry critter. :grouphug:

11. ferrickhead28

ferrickhead28 Well-Known Member

As a dog trainer myself, I will say that the majority of the dogs in shelters right now are from pet owners who do not do any training with their dogs. Train your dog(s) no matter what the age and you will have a lifelong family companion.

It is not too late. There are alot of very reputable dog training companies in your area, I strongly suggest you look into one. It's a simple behavior correction.

The very best to you!

12. INTHEBUFF

INTHEBUFF Well-Known Member

Um.....didn't see where you felt sorry for the CHILD that was bitten and not only the physical scarring but emotional ones that come along with this type of situation. I've even watched on one of Cesar's shows where he is adamant that no parent or dog owner should pick a dog over a child's wellbeing or putting a child in danger. He's even suggested many times on his show that some dogs are not meant to be with some owners. I've seen him request owner's to give up their dog due to the fact that it's so obvious to him that the owner is not suited to handle a certain situation with their dog, it's not often he does this but he does suggest finding a better home for the dog, one that has the right person for that particular dog. I don't agree with their consideration of euthanasia but I don't see a damn thing wrong with them trying their best to find a good home for the dog. Child versus biting dog, child wins hands down every time IMHO. It's a sad situation but I'm sure you're bashing them is not helping at all. How's about you take the dog or give a little more positive feed back with suggestions.

13. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

:iagree: And I like my dog more than a number of people I know, but when it comes to a human or dog, the human wins, especially a toddler.

14. King Of Clean

Thank you for your input, INTHEBUFF. Luckily there will be no permanent physical scars on the child. Euthanasia is no longer part of the equation. We just couldn't do it. Thankfully we received some excellent advice and support, and we have found a solution that will work for everyone. Thank you all for your input. It really did help.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  15. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Very happy for you all and the pup!

:hurray: