Here's a debateable question for you.

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by JenniferK, Sep 8, 2006.

1. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

2. The_Investigator

The_Investigator Well-Known Member

I don't honestly think I could accept the reward. To me if you accept the reward it's like saying you would not have reported finding her if there was no reward. I would be satisfied just knowing I helped bring closure to the situation so the family wouldn't spend the rest of their lives wondering what happened to her. I wouldn't ask to be identified, but wouldn't necessarily care if they did.

3. Clif

Clif Guest

I think I would direct that it be put into a fund for some applicable charity.

4. Oy Yayoy

Oy Yayoy Well-Known Member

Their names were all over the news before it was decided they should get any of the reward money.

Personally, I'd want to assist and do any good I possibly could. And I'd take the money. I ain't no fool...

5. concernedperson

concernedperson Well-Known Member

Her cousin works with me and said she was just an all around good person. There is a fund set up for her son. That's what I would have done with the money.

6. froggerplus

froggerplus Well-Known Member

Ditto, Oy.

Fact of the matter is, I wouldn't do it for the money. I'd do it because it's the right thing to do. The money coming later would be a surprise, but one I'd keep.

<<Didn't see the post about her son. I'd give at least half back to the fund for him.>>

7. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

I would give 1/2 back to her family (her son's fund) or a charity of their choice and keep the other half.

This is just a sad situation, I am glad the family has closure but I wish it turned out differently.

Sharon

8. Steve

Steve Guest

The very first thing I would do is report the reward to the IRS so I could cut them a check ASAP for the tax on the money.

9. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Good point, Steve. I would certainly want to get tax advice before putting the money, or even half of it, into the son's trust fund. It may not be a 501(c)(3) charity. Would be too bad to give the money away and then have to pay tax on it anyway.

Besides, it sounds like the woman who found the body can really use the money herself. Here's a story from the N&O: http://www.newsobserver.com/102/story/481811.html

10. JenniferK

Thanks. It's interesting to hear everyones perspective on this.

Reward money aside, I'm just not sure I'd want my name in the media for finding the body. You know, what if the killer has some really ticked off friends who decide to get revenge because their buddy is sitting in jail?

11. froggerplus

froggerplus Well-Known Member

Everything aside, this is just a heartbreaking story. It reminds me that we can't ever be too safe and to remember to kiss our loved ones when we part.

12. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Words to live by. We never know what tomorrow will bring us and who will be missing or gone from our lives.

13. turtlepits

turtlepits Well-Known Member

I personally know the couple who found this lady and they could use every penny of it!! They were not asking for the money and did not expect to recieve any of the money. Everyone should be happy for the closure for the family and not worried about who gets the reward. This family has been a friend of my family since I was a little girl, and I'm happy to see they did get the reward. If it was me, I'd use it as I please and be thankful I helped a family in their search. The lady who found her has been having problems sleeping now. She didn't ask for the reward, but I guess they deserve it.

14. JenniferK

Turtle, please don't get me wrong, I'm not condemning them for taking it. I was just, well, thinking outloud. I wasn't trying to offend anyone.

15. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I wouldn't want my name released to the news. I'd have cousins come out of the woodworks to hit me up for $$. :roll: :roll: :roll:

They found her and they deserve the reward.

16. tawiii

tawiii Guest

I agree with both posts.