high speed internet, phone etc.

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Steve, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Steve

Steve Guest

I have got to get away from Time-Scum of the Earth-Warner. I'm looking at Embarq. Any other suggestions?

2. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

Vonage cost me $20 per month for 500 minutes anywhere in the US or Canada. Never come close to using the 500 yet and I've had it over three years. For an additional $10 you can get unlimited minutes. Can't help you with the internet since I have Earthlink via Roadrunner. Haven't had any problem with them either. They are all subject to occasional weather outages but so are landlines and others.

3. Steeler_Fan

Steeler_Fan Well-Known Member

I have Embarq, phone and internet. I have one of the lower speeds they offer as, I also have cable internet. I have the Embarq 1.5 Mbps/512 Kbps speed. It only gone out once in the last year for me. I use my cell phone for long distance, but I think my bill around 65, that local calls only, not sure what they charge for long distance.

4. ponychick

ponychick Well-Known Member

I love Vonage. But you still have to suffer with Time Warner for the broadband. I don't know the details with TWC's phone deals, but Vonage offers you a choice of area code, and prefix. We have a Raleigh prefix because our location would normally dictate an Angier prefix, which would be long distance to everyone. Our plan is $25 unlimited.

5. Snuffleufogous

Snuffleufogous Well-Known Member

When I had a land line, i had Vonage. The $29 it was supposed to cost only really cost $34, or something like that, and the service was good.

Don't go with satellite internet. It's what I have now and it's quite frustrating. If you use the service too much, they get upset and slow it down. But it is nice to be TWC free. Wouldn't it be nice if there were actually some competition within the same type of communications? Prices might stay competitive and you might have decent services once in awhile.

6. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

We keep Embarq ONLY because we have to have a landline for our home security system (or is very pricey). Our bill has been incorrect every month except for 1 for the past 18 months. We have our, TV, internet, and home phone through them. Their customer service is as bad as Nextel!

7. VivianS

VivianS Well-Known Member

Don't get Dish Network for tv and internet and it sucks! It's constantly going out when the weather is not sunny or if you use the internet too much. I never had a problem with TWC when there was bad weather and I could leave the pc connected to the net all day and night.

8. FoxChassis

FoxChassis Well-Known Member

Roadrunner + Vonage = $75/mo for us. (We have a toll-free Vonage number so it's $10 higher than normal.) And we have two Tracfones for our wireless which cost us about $240/year.

9. thriftymom

thriftymom Member

Try looking at Magic Jack at www.magicJack.com. You pay approx. $40 dollars for the equipment, it runs through your HS internet connection and you don't have a bill for the rest of the year. Renewal for the next year is around $20.

10. VivianS

11. thriftymom

thriftymom Member

12. VivianS

You are very welcome! :)

13. DeniseL

DeniseL Well-Known Member

We have had Embarq phone and internet for 3 years. Find internet slow, does not work half the time. TWC has been much beeter since we made the switch.

Good luck

14. baseballmom

baseballmom Guest

i agree w/ denise - You are going to pay for twc product/service but it is 100 % faster and better than anything else you will find - if you call and ask for a special or bundle i am sure they can lower the cost for you .... they are now offering a price lock special that locks you into a lower rate for 2 years ( like a cell phone plan)