Hoping for help...

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Abdulina, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

Hello everyone! I know it is a crazy time of year but wondering if some of you might be able to help me out. It won't cost you a dime & will most likely get you organized--LOL. As some of you on here know, we adopt orphans from Eastern Europe to become part of our family. We thought for the last 3 years that our family was finished, done, complete. However, apparently we were wrong. There are some kids missing & we have decided to complete our forever family this coming year. I was made aware of a situation by our previous agency & they were wondering if we could help. There are 3 children in Bulgaria that really do need us & we have committed to bringing them home though won't be made official until later this week. There are twins who are 4 years old(boy & girl) and a little 2 yo girl. We can support these children once home financially. It is the cost of getting there & doing an actual adoption that we need some help with. So, as part of a fundraiser, we are going to have a HUGE yardsale & would love donations from fellow 40-42er's. I know some of you are like me & must have junk laying around the house somewhere. Do a fall cleaning of sorts. Make room for Christmas presents & a tree. Anything will do as long as it is not broken. We plan on having the sale on November 14th at our house. Plenty of yard to do a yardsale. The more stuff we have, the better. NOt only for us, but for you!-- think of all your well-organized closets & clutter going away. I will be doing a bakesale along with the yardsale to help with the fundraising. The fate of these children is unspeakable if they are to stay at the orphanage. We just need some old clothes, shoes, furniture, nick-nacks & whatever else you can think of to help get started in bringing our children home. Please email me if you need an address to drop the items off or if we need to go pick them up. We odn't mind either way. This is a great way to help support adoption in National Adoption Month & get 3 children to their forever family & out of mental institutions. And best part is, it won't cost you a dime! Need your time just to do a quick sweep of the house & see what you no longer need, no longer use or no longer want & bring it on over(or we can pick up!). We have two weeks to get this done before the big sale. Our goal is to hopefully raise $3000 at this sale so as you can see, we need some stuff. Now, any other ideas you all have for fundraisers, please do let me know. We have a ways to go to get all the funds necessary to bring them home. We have a few fundraisers in mind. But the more ideas, the better. Thanks for letting me ask for stuff, old junk, whatever is no longer needed in hopes of collecting a lot for the biggest yardsale in the 4042 area!!! And if you don't have stuff to unload, stop on by Nov. 14th & pick some up.

Stephanie--mom to 7

2. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

So Mom to 10 soon? :lol:

I applaude you for your efforts, you are such a great person.

I haven't unpacked 3/4 of the stuff thats in the spare room, you really can't even get in there. :? I'll see what I can come up with for your yard sale. It wont be much, because I go through the house and all of our clothes in the spring and fall every year.

3. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I'm sure I will have some stuff. :grouphug:

4. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

Steph, I will bring you some stuff. :hurray:

5. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

I cleaned out the house a couple of months ago so there won't be much there but if I can round up some help to hit the barn, we may be in luck!! I also will donate baked goods. How about a few cases or drinks/water to sale? I would be happy to donate some!

6. LansingDr

LansingDr Well-Known Member

I will go through the house. I am sure I have some stuff since I meant to have a yard sale this summer and never got around to it :)

7. mvenito@nc.rr.com

mvenito@nc.rr.com Well-Known Member

I have some stuff for you as well....there is always stuff....:)... you really are a special woman....

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  8. cece

cece Well-Known Member

You could make it a yard/bake sale - if the items are able to freeze - people could save themselves a little baking time on Thanksgiving....

You could also make and sell the canned cookies/soup in a jar (dried ingredients) for the reciepients to make at a later date......

Do your little ones need anything for when they arrive? What sizes do they wear?

9. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

Wonderful ideas! I like the dried ideas thing that would be great hostess gifts for the upcoming Thanksgiving Holidays. So, if you find some great sites for that, let me know. I've seen a few & I think that would be awesome. Pies folks can freeze for the upcoming holiday would be good also. I love these ideas os please, please keep them coming as the kids will be depending on it. We're going to try to do the fundraising in stages. I"ll have a blog to share later this week to give everyone an idea of how all thisworks & what is involved in this. Most international adoptive parents have the money to support the kids once home but usually have trouble finding that extra $30K in the bank--LOL. So, a yardsale is a wonderful place to start. So is a bake sale. I'm not even thinking of them coming home as of yet as it takes months to do paperwork. You know, to make sure social workers, psychiatrists, etc. think we're sane enough to do this. It's a process. This will be a 2 trip process but 2 short trips which makes it a bit easier. I appreciate al lt he private emails so far & will get to them. I'm actually going to be starting a job(work from home) soon so less time for on here. Not sure when it will start, speaking w/ her today about it. Very excited as that will help out as well. Just wanted to start organizing all this. The kids are definitely worth it. This is our FINAL adoption for sure. But once you see the injustices the orphans face, you can't sit & do nothing. For years we've advocated for the kids left behind. We've done care packages, grant donations, etc. Now we have the opportunity to change a life or two. A quote I have from someone that I like is "Adopting a child will not change the world. But for that one child, the world will change." Thanks to everyone who is making a difference in the lives of some deserving children. I will respond to the pm's shortly. Thanks is just not enough here. Come on over to the sale on November 14th. I will post an add.

Take care,

Stephanie--mom to 7