How to get a dog not to chew?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Emma Caroline, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Emma Caroline

Emma Caroline Well-Known Member

My dogs are obsessed with tearing up anything with stuffing- bed pillows comforters, stuffed animals, etc. I keep the bedroom doors closed when I am not home but I would like to be able to have throw pillows on my couch. Any suggestions on how to get them to not destroy my pillows? I thought maybe I could spray the pillows with something but I don't know what would work that would not harm the fabric or the dogs

2. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Do they have plenty of their own stuff to chew on? You have to re-direct them to their own toys each and every time you catch them chewing on your stuff.

Also, bitter apple may help. My sister had a dog that had a fabric fetish. She finally outgrew it, but there was lots of destroyed textiles. :?

3. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

give them dog appropriate toys, though, so they know the difference. you can't have a "doggie shoe" and then "your shoes". the dog doesn't know the difference. don't give him "his own" teddy bear, that will just encourage him, if you see what i mean. give em rawhide bones and rubber balls and such...

4. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Well-Known Member

While we're on the topic, any suggestions for a mastiff/lab who likes to clear the counter tops of anything that might be on them, has numerous chew toys of his own, but insists on breaking into the garbage and pulling anything paper out to chew. I have things as far back as they can go on the counters, and now have to put my bread on top of the fridge, as apparently his favorite snack is a loaf of bread! Takes anything off the table (pub height) and demolishes it, nothing is safe, except shoes, figure that one out?

5. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

BE THE PACK LEADER!
    Put your foot up their ***, problem solved.

6. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Well-Known Member

Done that! LOL!

7. RealityWorkouts

RealityWorkouts Well-Known Member

You need to contact Shane & Donna Gentry at Sally Said So! Professional Dog training. They can get your dog straightened out.

Phones-

Shane 919-427-4775

Donna 919-457-7587

8. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

There is a bitter spray that you can buy at PetSmart, it works but you have to reapply it every day or for aggressive chewers 2X per day. I had to spray my throw rugs morning and night with it to keep Gracie from chewing them up. She REALLY had a taste for rugs! Finally I just gave up and took up all the rugs in the rooms that she had access to until she outgrows this phase. I make good use of baby gates to keep her out of rooms that she is not supervised in...And yes, make sure they have lots of "their" stuff to chew. Sturdy stuff like the KONG toys. Maybe stuff a KONG with p-nut butter and freeze it overnight and give to the pooches when you leave to keep them busy for a while...Could be a boredom or separation anxiety thing too...PM Zookeeper on this board. She is an EXPERT on solving problem dog behavior!!

9. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

For God's sake do not use hot sauce! I had a beagle one time that loved the stuff, we eventually used the sauce as a bribe!

10. JCoRes

JCoRes Well-Known Member

squirt bottles are a good tool to use as well.... keep it handy and squirt at them in the head/face (water) when they do negative. I had a dog that hated it and after awhile just the sight of my picking up the water bottle made him change his mind of a pending action.....

11. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Hmmm...

Squirt bottles filled with hot sauce? :twisted:

12. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Keep a muzzle on it :)

13. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the movie, Turner and Hooch...lol