Hurricane Irene - Johnston County Information

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Webmaster, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

Smithfield, NC – Johnston County officials have elected to open a shelter at the following location:

Smithfield-Selma Senior High School
    700 Booker Dairy Road
    Smithfield, NC

The shelter will open at 4:00p.m. on Friday, August 26, 2011.

The shelter is being opened as a preparedness measure and to assist in the evacuation of the coastal areas.

2. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

3. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

4. elims

elims Well-Known Member

If your power is out and you can't get to the internet to report that your power is out ... (love the logic) .. the number to call is 1-800-419-6356. Personally, I have it written down on a sticky note on my desk.

5. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I have a glow in the dark magnet on my refrigerator with the # on it. I always thought that was pretty useful from them.

6. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Not if mobile service is still up.

7. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

North Carolina has activated its toll-free emergency information bilingual hotline to provide info to callers about Irene. It will give updated weather information, highway closings, shelter information, feeding sites and will serve as a referral line for people in need of help after the storm. English and Spanish speaking people should call 1-888-835-9966. Deaf and hard of hearing people may call 1-877-877-1765 (TTY) or 711 (Relay N.C.)

8. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

Landfill and Solid Waste Convenience Sites Closed

Smithfield, NC – The Johnston County Landfill and Solid Waste Convenience Sites will be closed Saturday, August 27, 2011 due to potential impacts from Hurricane Irene.

The Landfill and Solid Waste Convenience Sites will resume normal business operations on Monday, August 29, 2011.

9. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

Emergency Operations Center Opening

Smithfield, NC – Pursuant to the Johnston County State of Emergency Ordinance, Johnston County officials have declared a state of emergency.

The Emergency Operations Center will be opening at 3:00 a.m. Saturday, August 27, 2011.

Please do not contact 911 for non-life threatening emergencies. Should you need to contact the Emergency Operations Center, please call (919) 989-5400 after 3:00 a.m. Saturday, August 27, 2011.

10. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

Smithfield, NC -- Johnston County officials report that 217 citizens sought shelter at Smithfield Selma High School. Currently the shelter is at 54% capacity. The county currently has an estimated 19,000 Progress Energy power outages.

Numerous trees and power lines are down throughout the County.

Officials will be making a decision later today regarding the closing of the shelter located at Smithfield Selma High School.

11. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Awesome job with the info.

Sherry