Hydroponic Gardening

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by steve, May 6, 2011.

1. steve

steve Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of it in my spare room. And no, I DON'T SMOKE POT... so this is about vegetables. :jester:

Does anyone have experience with this?

2. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

potting soil is a lot cheaper and easier. The new LEDs are more efficient than HIDs. HIDs also generate a lot of heat which must be removed from the room. You'll also need 220 volts for HIDs. I don't know about voltage for LEDs.

3. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

This probably wouldn't work as you want to do it in a spare bedroom but there is also something called aquaponics. It uses the run off of the fish pond to raise the vegetables. With hydroponics you still have to use a bunch of chemicals to raise the veggies. I think. Still studying all this so correct me please if I'm wrong b/c I'm very interested in this topic. We're still in the researching stage ourselves so really glad you started this thread. But, we may try the aquaponics route. Not sure yet. Good luck w/ the hydroponics ands do show pictures along the way.

Stephanie-- mom to 7.

4. steve

steve Well-Known Member

thanks. no chemicals and low power consumption would be the way I'd like to go. I also have a deck that gets a ton of morning sun.

I have zero experience trying to grow anything other than houseplants.

5. Navycut

Navycut Well-Known Member

Hey Steve,
    If you can do houseplants, you can do veggies. 6~8 hours of sunlight is recommended and you can supplement a family of 3 in a 4' X 4' square with the Square Foot Gardening method. Every square foot is in business for itself; plant 16 radishes, harvest and replant with lettuce, harvest and replant with a tomato, etc. Automatic crop rotation and you plant so close that there will be no weeding. You don't fertilize, water or weed where you walk.
    If you are interested, send me a PM and we can arrange a meeting and I'll show you my set up.
    Joe

6. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

steve, if you're not a green thumb, stick with potting soil. rock wool has to be supplied with every element the plant needs. you need vegatative solution and flowering solution later on. you also need a pH pen and a TDS pen is helpful (total dissolved solids). just go to Lowes and get a name brand soil and a box of miracle grow. osmocote is also great stuff. the right color light, a small fan, and don't over water.