I-40 Commuters needed for Herald story

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ccampbell, Nov 19, 2009.

1. ccampbell

ccampbell Guest

This is Colin Campbell from The Herald/Garner-Clayton Record again...I'm trying to talk with some I-40 commuters about the new traffic times signs they've got on 40 between Raleigh and 95- we've noticed in the past couple weeks two signs with travel times to upcoming exits - one headed toward Raleigh just south of 40/42, another headed away from Raleigh at Jones Sausage Road.

Has anyone noticed these signs? Find them useful for the commute? Use them to decide when to go on back roads, or just see them as a confirmation of the inevitable gridlock ahead? Are they running when they're needed? Does the location of the signs work for you, or should there be one for 40/42 folks headed toward Raleigh?

Drop me an e-mail at colin.campbell@nando.com or call me at 836-5768.

Thanks for your help.

2. ECAVE

ECAVE Well-Known Member

I have noticed them. They have been up for quite a while.
    I really do not use them. It may be just me but it seems if I do decide to try an alternate route it is just as bad if not worse, so generally I just stay on the highway.

Guess I should have read the last sentence...

3. bostonredhead

bostonredhead Well-Known Member

I've seen them, but they always say the same thing, and I don't understand what they mean.

4. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

The only drivers who will pay attention to them are out of town travelers who are not familiar with the area.

5. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

I find it amusing that usually the time difference to Smithfield via old 70 and the new by pass is only 1 minute difference. $15 million in cost to save a minute. But it is now a scenic byway.

6. NY9

NY9 Well-Known Member

It would be more than a minute if all the cars had to take 70 bus. as opposed to having the option.

The signs come in handy if there is an incident past the I-40/70 bus. interchange, that is what they are primarily in place for.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  7. kansascon

kansascon Well-Known Member

I don't find them to be accurate at all. The timeframes that are shown on the signs do no reflect actual times in my opinion.

8. Vinalexnc

Vinalexnc Well-Known Member

waste of tax payer money !!

A lot of the time they are just blank !! What the heck at least sell some advertising time on them to recoup so of the cost of the signs and the by-pass !!

9. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

not to mention the message doesn't finish before you've gone underneath it and have no idea what the message was to start with. :?

10. kansascon

kansascon Well-Known Member

I'm not worried about whose missing - I just wanna get home!!!!

Just kidding.

11. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

When they actually work...most of the time at least one of them is blank, since the day it was put up I think.