I-42 Project in Johnston County

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by jesse82nc, Mar 15, 2021.

1. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Full project scope:
    upload_2021-3-15_7-5-15.png

NC DOT Map - https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/us-70-wilsons-mills/Documents/us-70-wilsons-mills-project-map.pdf

NCDOT advertised the W-5600 contract on January 16, 2021.

Among the sign plans included those for the new exit signs for Swift Creek and Wilson Mills Road, along with the new signs for the Business 70 exit westbound:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

US 70 from End of Clayton Bypass to Beginning of US 70 Goldsboro Bypass (includes Bypass US 70 in Smithfield)
    Road Type: 4-lane Divided Roadway with some Freeway Sections Length: 22.5 Miles

There are two funded projects and one feasibility study underway to upgrade this section of US 70:

The first will upgrade 5 miles of US 70 to Interstate Standards from US 70 Business to the Neuse River Bridge (W-5600) , NCDOT will replace the current US 70 intersections with Wilson Mills Road and Swift Creek Road with interchanges starting in the spring of 2021. Originally the plan was to award the contract in September 2020, however, due to COVID funding issues, the contract letting was postponed until March 2021. The plan is to have US 70 be carried on a bridge over Wilson Mills Road while a bridge will carry Swift Creek Road over US 70. A connector road paralleling US 70 between the two roads will also be built. The total cost for the Wilson Mills interchanges is estimated at $77 million.

Here's a map of the project area:
    [​IMG]

US 70 Clayton Bypass
    Road Type: Interstate Standard Freeway Length: 8.4 Miles

This segment could be signed as I-42 today. NCDOT perhaps is waiting, however to sign it until projects further east to I-95 in Smithfield are completed.

Smithers, BuzzMyMonkey and markfnc like this.