I am a terrible

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ZUMBAbyMARIE, Sep 30, 2010.

1. ZUMBAbyMARIE

ZUMBAbyMARIE Well-Known Member

photographer. Which camera is best for non-photographers? I have a Nikon Coolpix. Sometimes the pictures are good sometimes they are really blurry and bad. It has too many scene choices. If I leave it on the auto mode it's hit or miss. I just want to point and click and get a good picture. Which camera would be best for me? :?

2. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

If it's a CoolPix it's probably the camera and not you. If I remember right. ...we got the MIL a camera for Christmas last year and I did a lot of searching of reviews and I think the CoolPix had lots of bad ones.

3. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I agree. We have one and it is not good except outside.

We have two Kodaks one is a 5 MP, one is a 7.1. LOVE them.

I am hoping to get an SLR for Christmas.

4. ZUMBAbyMARIE

I'm glad it's not just me. I can take the most beautiful picture one time and a total dud the next. I always keep the batteries fresh so I couldn't understand why it happens. I just figured I wasn't cut out to be a photographer. While we are on the subject...which one of those tiny camcorders is the best? I want to get one for my Son's graduation in May.

5. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Can't go wrong with a Flip.

6. ZUMBAbyMARIE

I have a flip. I love it, but it isn't good for distance. It's not good for the nosebleed section.

7. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I'm hoping for YOURs as my my Christmas present. :mrgreen:

8. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

Are we supposed to jump in and finish this with our own terrible-ness?
    As in I am a terrible _____?

Cause if so, I can't play, I'm pretty much good at everything.

9. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

10. ZUMBAbyMARIE

I didn't even know GE made cameras. I like the size of the Nikon Coolpix but not the quality of the pictures. I don't know if that one will fit in my purse.

11. ZUMBAbyMARIE

They didn't have a very big selection at Sam's club this weekend. Maybe they will get more before Christmas.

12. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Unless you get a digital SLR, you'll have a delay taking shots and you'll probably still be hit and miss with the focus. I have a coolpix myself and was frustrated with it, ended up giving it to my wife and kept using my film SLR. I've started using it again. I manually set the ISO and the delay isn't quite as bad. Most of my shots are landscapes and fairly stationary objects. The action shots still have the "i have to be psychic to take this shot on time" feel, but the ISO setting helps out. There are a bunch of scenes to choose from, but there's typically only a couple you really use. My coolpix is 7+ years old and the technology has come a long way since then.

My suggestions:
    * find the fastest memory card for your coolpix (this helps considerably with the delay)
    * take the picture size down a few notches. A 10mp vs a 3mp you can barely tell the difference but it's highly unlikely. The huge mp's for cameras are if you want to print out wall murals. If most of the stuff you'll be printing are 4x6's and 3x5's, set it to the smaller sizes for general use.
    * play around w/ the scene settings until you get used to them and find the ones you like

It's much cheaper than dropping a couple hundred on a new one that could have the same issues.

13. ZUMBAbyMARIE

Thanks for the info Loki. Is the digital SLR the really big camera? The Nikon I have is only two years old. I've used all of the different scene settings but it's still hit or miss. It does have a delay. I've now been using this camera mostly for taking pictures of food. Food doesn't move. :)

14. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

The wife has a small Sony that she carries with her for travel compared to her larger Sony digital camera. And while the pictures aren't a great as they are with the big Sony, the little Sony does an excellant job of taking pictures. I'll try to get her to post some of the "wilderness" pictures she has taken with it.

15. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

No problem. :) Sorry it's taken a couple days to get back. The digital SLR's are bigger and they're not ones you can just put in your pocket. You can change the lenses on them and have a larger array of choices to select from. Think of what professional photographers use.

http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Digital-SLR/index.page

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/products/professional_cameras/digital_slr_cameras

I personally prefer Nikon's, but a lot of people think Canon's are easier to use. Please don't think I'm saying to go buy one of these because they can be quite pricey. Best thing to do is fill a memory card or 2 with messing around w/ the functions on your camera by sending the kids out to play, your pets running around, or cars driving by. Do it some while it's starting to get dark. Most of your delay comes in low light situations. Alos, don't think you always have to get the perfect shot every time. Do a search on google for "reduce shutter lag" and it'll give you a bunch of sites on how to make the delay a little more bearing.

Hope this helps.

16. DAH22

DAH22 Well-Known Member

Nikon d40 is a smaller camera for a SLR but still a great SLR camera that is easy to use and top pictures for a point and shoot style/thought process too. I have both the d40 & d90 which the d90 is larger. Thinking about buying the d7000 next! LOVE NIKON SLR cameras and really the d40 is not that large but great pictures. You can do the auto everything or manual! It is great when you do not want to use a flash also because you can then manually turn the ISO's up higher.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010