Icons on my Desktop

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by CAC, Feb 25, 2013.

1. CAC

CAC Well-Known Member

I was trying to post a note to my desktop and the result was no posted note and the ICON tags changed from having a transparent background to having a blue background as shown in the picture below.
    [​IMG]

I have searched and searched including properties for the desktop and have been unable to find how to change that background blue to transparent.
    This has happened once before a distant time ago and it seems there was a little box somewhere that I had to check or uncheck that got rid of the blue background and I thought it was in the desktop properties. But this does not seem to be the case. Please help.

2. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

What OS are you using? In Win 7 and up the color is dictated by your desktop wallpaper.

You can go to CONTROL PANEL and in the "search control panel" bar at the top type in "COLOR SCHEME" then click on the CHANGE WINDOWS COLORS. It won't let you change much though.

3. CAC

CAC Well-Known Member

Sorry, I should have stated XP, but I'll try your search comment. Thanks I do have a Windows 7 machine but have not converted over yet.

4. CAC

CAC Well-Known Member

I tried it and found that I had already been there.

5. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Go to Control Panel, click 'system', click the 'advanced' tab, under 'performance' click 'settings', uncheck 'Use Drop Shadows for Icon Labels on the desktop'

6. CAC

CAC Well-Known Member

Thanks ddrdan. I tried that but I still have the blue background icon labels.

7. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

I made a mistake,'put a check' in the box for 'Use Drop Shadows for Icon Labels on the desktop'. Then make sure you click OK twice — once to close Performance Options dialog box and once to close the System Properties dialog box. If you don't click both 'OK's' the change won't happen.

If that doesn't work, than you must have a 'custom' desktop setup that is conflicting because of your desktop wallpaper.

8. CAC

CAC Well-Known Member

Didn't work. The "use drop shadows for icon labels on desktop" was check the first time and I unchecked it. This problem happened when I tried to post a postit note to me desktop. So I have evidently screwed something up and can't find the handle. Thanks for you help.

9. 740i Guy

740i Guy Well-Known Member

Many will tell you System Restore is an unpredictable variable. But personally, I have never had a problem with it in XP or Win7. I think it got a bad rep in XP's original release pack.

Where I'm going is. . .if it just started happening on 2/25. . .AND you have not done any software installs or major updates (unlikely), a simple restore back a day or two before it started would very likely help restore the old config. It may seem like overkill, but on several occasions I have found it very useful as opposed to wrestling with a problem for an extended period.

Again, I do throw the caveat out there, but I have no problem with it.

10. CAC

CAC Well-Known Member

That did it. Thanks a million for the suggestion. I could have lived with the blue icon labels, but they were annoying. For some reason I had not thought about system restore. BTW; I have never had a problem with system restore that I can remember.

11. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Good tip!