IE\outlook express

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by Rockyv58, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I have an old Windows XP box that IE will not launch and Outlook Express does not respond once it is opened. I can get them both up in safe mode but nothing in normal mode, Any thoughts?

IE version 8
    outlook express version 6

About the only things I use on that old box is the outlook and my quicken. If I need to blow the os away and rebuild it can I go through admin and back up my emails and address book?

Also if anyone has an OEM version of XP pro they would like to sell let me know. Especially if its under 25.00
    Thanks

PS why I want the oem XP pro is because I have Sony Viao load for it and do not need all the junk Sony supplies with it. Thanks

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  2. Rockyv58

More questions

1.) Has anyone ever used Firefox Thunderbird for their email?
    2.) Can I import my outlook rules and saved email?
    3.) I ran Belarc advisory on the PC and it has an Asus MB in it. Sony ways it will only handle 512mb of ram but according to the Asus manual for the MB it says it can handle 1gb. Think it can be upgraded to 1gb?

3. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

If the Motherboard was in a sony it could be a proprietary build by Asus for Sony with the same model number of the retail board. Check the motherboard for other markings. Sometimes the boards have "rev" numbers after the model number that will distinguish the proprietary board in a web search. Also get sony's part number for a replacement motherboard. Searching it may return a more definitive answer to exactly what board you have.

Or..... you may look for a BIOS update that will increase the RAM capacity on the board. Boards with conflicting spec data sheets are usually dated. Check the date on the Sony sheet and then the date on the Asus sheet. If the 1 GIG is newer, look for a BIOS update for increasing RAM capacity.

I'm not sure what comfort level you have for software changes, so I'll warn you, a BIOS update gone bad can be a real hassle.

4. Rockyv58

I came from the computer industry, but have been out of it for some time now. I know the last time I checked there was no BIOS update for the motherboard. At least from Sony.

I have not checked what the REV # is on it. On that pc I can not get IE to load or Outlook express to work. Pretty much going to have to rebuild it. Maybe when I take it offline I can go and check the REV #. Though I may just end up keeping it at 512mb since its a back up machine to run older software. It would of been nice to have the ability to upgrade the memory.

Though I would like to get a copy of windows xp pro to load on it instead of the sony version of windows xp home (with all the sony garbage loaded on it).

5. 740i Guy

740i Guy Well-Known Member

Something to check before doing a lot of work. . .

Outlook Express 6 has a .dbx (mail storage file) of 2gb limit per dbx. (inbox dbx, sent dbx, archive dbx, etc)
    Once you hit that mark OE6 generally will not function. Early IE's are intimately tied to OE, so that ...may... be the issue with that as well.

6. Rockyv58

I remembered that from long time ago reading that. The largest .dbx only has 995mb in it. In all the .dbx folders together is 4.68 Gb total