If your student took Pre-algebra

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by smiles, Jun 11, 2012.

1. smiles

smiles Well-Known Member

in sixth grade, you need to realize they will NOT be taking Algebra I until 8th grade. They will be taking "Common Core Plus" which is a REPEAT OF PRE-ALGEBRA. This was not made clear in the stuff they sent home with report cards.

2. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

3. smiles

smiles Well-Known Member

So for those children who took Pre-Algebra, instead of continuing with the next course, they will be forced to REPEAT a class they have taken and passed.

4. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Actually my child went through this and I thought it was great due to the fact that it means at that young age they will understand it fully. Mine has gone on to do very well in math and science and actually asked Clif to help her late one night on some homework when she was in high school. She got on 4042 and both Clif and Wayne helped her understand something she needed.

Think of it as practicing to drive more than once.

Sherry

5. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

And this is an issue?

I remember Pre-Algebra. Taking it more than once is a good thing. Even after passing it, I wish I had done a refresher before hitting college.

The class that is the problem is Gym. I passed that once and they made me take it again, and again, and again.

6. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Well with that said, You must be in FINE shape!!! LOL............Mentally and Physically :)

7. smiles

smiles Well-Known Member

If a child passed the class, and did very well in it, they should not have to take it a second year in a row! Why encourage students to not strive to do their best? If a child struggled in Pre-Algebra, repeating it is in their best interest, but it is not in the best interest of a child who fully understood the concepts the first time around.

8. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

That's what I've been saying about Gym!!!

Same thing about English. I did very well the first few times they made me take it. Then, as the years rolled on, I started doing worse and worse. It would appear that repeating a subject more than a couple of times actually has a negative effect!

9. giapn73

giapn73 Well-Known Member

Why?

is this for all joco schools? my son will not be happy about this at all

This is just as bad as kids not being able to choose their "electives".....

10. smiles

smiles Well-Known Member

Yes. All JC middle schools are doing this. If you don't agree, you might want to start contacting people at Central Office. So far, I've been told a "lateral move" to the new "Common Core Plus" class won't hurt my child. However, a lateral move means same class/new name instead of a vertical move up to the next class.

11. momtofive

momtofive Well-Known Member

Hmmm . . . a few years ago when they developed their new math program/curriculum/sequence, our overly-paid central office employees said it was suppose to get them a head start on the new core standards so this wouldn't happen.

Just another example of why I got my kids out of the JC public school system.

12. Emma Caroline

Emma Caroline Well-Known Member

I just started looking in to this and I am still a little confused. My son took pre-alg last year and should be in alg for 7th grade. Now he will not go to alg or common core I, but instead be in commom core 7 plus--is that right? So this sets him back on the "normal path" and keeps him from taking higher level math in highschool because now he is a year behind?

Who goes into common core 7 plus? Just the 6th graders who took pre alg or the pre alg kids and the 6th grade advanced math kids? If it is a mix my child will definately be bored to death to repeat everything. Is there any exception for the truly high level kids? I personally felt that some kids were in pre alg that did not belong there.

This is so irritating for me--we pulled two of our kids out of Johnston Co schools be cause of all of the BS, but decided to let the older one stay primarily because he would be able to advance through the math classes quicker and hopefully be able to take college math classes his jr and sr year of high school.

If anyone can provide more clarification it would be appreciated.

And Sherry--this did not happen to your daughter because the Common Core stuff is new starting next year--it is not like my som needed to repeat the material==he ended the year with a 98 average scored 99 on the EOG and I don't recall him ever doing any math homework at home. He has mastered the material and needs to move on.

13. smiles

smiles Well-Known Member

That's the same situation my child is in. The letter sent home states that middle and high school students will stay on their current math track; however, it then says rising 7th graders will not be taking Algebra I (now called Math I). It's questionable whether or not they will take Math I in 8th grade too. This will then put them on the "regular" math track, leaving no room for AP Calculus in high school unless they double up on math classes one year.

14. Sherry A.

It did happen but was not under the current names you are using. I will ask my daughter exactly what it was called. I know she had to repeat not due to grades but because of the system. My daughter was in the AIG and Duke TIP programs and got into both because of math and science.

Johnston County has a lot of kids that get into the North Carolina School of Science and Math and some whose parents chose to leave them in the public system. Sure the County has some problems but what school system does not. We have kids who get the Morehead Scholarship, Parks, get into West Point and other military schools. We also have kids who get scholarships for sports and some like mine who get scholarships due to her excelling in science and math (from the company she will work for).

We never got into the group of talking about how she excelled or her being in AIG and Duke TIP or grades because I believe as long as a person is humble and does a good job nobody needs to brag. While I have bragged a little above I will tell you that one graduate of Clayton High School received a full ride to NC State graduated early and is getting ready to attend another university for a medical degree on scholarship.

I complained to the school board over items like banning books, etc. when mine was in that system but as far as the academics I was pleased. Mine is now a junior at a university with a major in Forensic Psychology and a minor in Biology. She's making straight As but did get one B last semester in a subject that some on 4042 could have helped her with. I am pleased as punch.

I'll get back to you on what exactly happened and what it was called when she was taking pre-algebra and all.

Sherry

15. Sherry A.

Well, I need to correct my information after talking to my daughter.

The Riverwood Middle School class of 2006 was the last class to be able to do what my daughter did.

She had to take a pre-algebra test in the 6th grade, which she scored high on. In the 7th grade she took pre-algebra and in the 8th grade she took algebra I. She had some classes in high school that had to be taken twice (not due to grades).

Once again my mistake because I truly thought she went through the same deal as your kids are going through. It is my daughter's opinion that the school board wanted to change the program with her grade but parents talked them into not doing it.

Sherry

16. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

DS took Pre Algebra in 6th, Alg 1 in 7 and will have Geometry next year in 8th at RMS. However, it is my understanding that they are not going to be offering the accelerated maths from here on out in middle school. I hate it for those caught in the middle. I'd be ticked at the wasted time.

17. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

Then go home and sit down and quiz them. If they get every single question right then you have an argument. The importance of algebra period is the gateway and rules for geometry, calculus, and physics. If you can't remember how to manipulate a formula or derive one for yourself to resolve the problem then it's just simply going to help. Maybe the problem isn't the kid not wanting to take...

18. ServerSnapper

Thank you "No child left behind". This is a direct result of them being more PC in the classroom to hold back the smarter kids instead of them jumping forward.

19. ServerSnapper

This absolutely just burns me up in one way and maybe it needs a new thread. I hate to even admit it but KDC has a damn point. I have seen this in the classroom. Why is it more important to make the "slower" kids feel more normal than letting these children who CAN learn faster, can absorb more information, can accelerate, be the ones LEFT BEHIND? They pass dirt dumb kids because THEY HAVE TO regardless of EOG testing. It's a fact. Ask a teacher.

20. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Your kid already taking Alg 1 by 8th grade is quite remarkable. Don't sweat it.