I'm a novice!

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by pcroom, Jan 27, 2013.

1. pcroom

pcroom Well-Known Member

I'm using a refurbished laptop now. I want to get a new one soon. What is a hotspot? What is the cheapest way to go wireless? I'm tied to one spot now and would like to use my new laptop all around the house. I'm curently on centurylink. I'm planning on getting a Dell laptop when I can. Is that a good choice? I only use the computer to surf the internet, games and emails. Any help would be so appreciated. I'm a senior on a fixed income. I'm disabled and my computer is allot of enjoyment! Also, what is the best virus protection? Thanks in advance!! Pat

2. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

If you have Centurylink Prism they should have provided you with a modem/wireless router combo that would allow you to use the laptop from anywhere in your house. If it is Centurylink for the phone that you are using then you should be able to buy a wireless router that you can connect to your existing modem that will allow you to roam the house wirelessly.

as for laptops Dell's aren't bad but I honestly think there are much better deals to be had out there cheaper than what a comparable Dell is going to cost you.

3. pcroom

pcroom Well-Known Member

THANKS, I will check with Centurylink. Pat

4. 740i Guy

740i Guy Well-Known Member

Two freebies I would suggest is AVG for your anti-virus and COMODO for a more robust, bi-directional firewall than the token FW in Windows.

Be careful and pay attention to each step during installation of both, so you do not install the free-trial, but the actual free version. Otherwise, these are very nice applications.

Good luck.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  5. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

to go along with 740i Comodo is a robust free option, but there is never one free version that does it all. That being said Comodo can require extra work from the end user (you) in tagging safe operations and safe sites, but is a good free option.

6. 740i Guy

740i Guy Well-Known Member

For the raw "novice" and keeping it as simple as possible, ... (and admittedly opening a brief window of vulnerability) I would suggest, after installing, setting COMODO to "training mode" in both 'Firewall Security Level' and 'Defense + Securtiy Level', by right clicking the icon in the task bar (the little icons in the lower right corner) and keeping that setting for a couple hours of running through one's software and NORMAL internet use. Then bumping up the categories to "Safe Mode" for both.

Again, this is for the person that has little or no experience or expertise beyond installing the software.

7. YoGnomo

YoGnomo Member

I realize I'm a little late to the game, but if you need help setting up a wireless network or anything, let me know. Also, check www.bensbargains.com for a laptop. They have some pretty good deals on there from time to time.