In Honour of Michael Collins - The Man Who Almost Went To The Moon

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Clif001, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Today is July 20. The 43rd anniversary of the Apollo 11 landing on the Moon.

I know he doesn't need me to, but I feel bad for Michael Collins. He went to the Moon, but never actually made it to the Moon.

Imagine, if you will, you a two of your co-workers jump into an old style VW Beetle. You drive from Southern California to Orlando Florida. The trip is quite literally non-stop. There are no fuel, rest or bathroom breaks. The three of you are in the VW the whole trip.

Once you arrive in Orlando, you drive around the Disney World parking lot for a few hours before you park. Then your two buddies get out leaving you to stay behind and watch the car. They enter Disney World and spend the afternoon having a grand old time.

Then they exit the park, climb back in with you and you all drive back to LA (again, non-stop).

That pretty much describes Michael Collins. He was third astronaut on the Apollo 11 mission, the first manned Moon landing. Everyone remembers Neil Armstrong, of course. Most will also remember Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin. But few remember the name of Michael Collins. The guy who stayed in the car. After Apollo 11 he never had another mission.

As long as I'm alive, every year on the anniversary of Apollo 11's landing, I will post a salute to Michael Collins. I think he was short changed in the whole deal, and I will not allow his name to be lost to history.

Here's to you, Michael.