Indoor Paint?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Steeler_Fan, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Steeler_Fan

Steeler_Fan Well-Known Member

I thought someone posted a while back about paint types and reviews, on this board, but I cannot seem to find it. Anyone recall? Maybe my searching skills are bad? The trim paint never seems to hold up that we have used in the past. I think we just used the cheap stuff, maybe that why.

As much as I don't want to paint the house it must be done. :ack:

2. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

what do you mean it doesn't hold up?

Is if flaking off?

3. Steeler_Fan

It just worn, no flaking. Only 2 of us, and well our 2 cats, Looks like we have 20 people living here, it that worn.

4. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

cheap paint.

5. Steeler_Fan

Yeah it was the cheap paint from Lowes, you know the stuff builders buy I am think in bulk. Any thoughts on valspar? I would like to get whatever I buy from Lowes, so I don't have to drive to far and if I run out I can go on the weekend. I am sure they have more, but that looks to be the main type the sell.

6. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Are you buying semi-Gloss? That always works well. Make sure it is for Interior trim. I get the gold can and that works great. I always have to touch up every few years as don't forget the vaccuum cleaner makes a lot of scuff marks.

7. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

We have used Valspar paint in all of our homes and it has held up really well.
    Semi-gloss is what most people use for trim; doors, baseboards, etc. I like to use eggshell for crown moulding, fireplace surround, trim on staircase, etc. I have also used it on the walls on the staircase and in the family room. Eggshell cleans up easier than flat paint.
    I have had the best results with their ultra premium (gold and blue can). They have a more expensive paint but it didn't seem to cover as well. For the outside Lowe's duramax is awesome add a little bleach or some mildewcide (from Sherwin Williams) and it will be fabulous and so easy to clean.
    Another favorite is Behr from Home Depot, great coverage.
    Least favorite Duron.
    Hope this helps. One last thing if you are repainting make sure surfaces are clean. TSP is great for this and cleaning brushes.