Is this neglect?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by VolleyGirl, May 19, 2009.

1. VolleyGirl

VolleyGirl Guest

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,520607,00.html

Is a 13 year old old enough to make this decision?

I'm torn on this one because I don't agree with the parent's decision to not get him treated, but it sounds like they have simply chosen a different kind of treatment (even if it won't work) as opposed to giving up entirely and I don't think they should be punished for that. This seems like another case of the government getting involved with parenting decisions and huge medical decisions and that makes me nervous.

2. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

If it is highly curable with treatment and fatal without it.... man as a mom I am not sure I could take my chances. Is it a religious decision?

3. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

I agree... I also think the parents need a little time on the psych ward.

4. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Wow, that's a tough call to make. The article did say that it was highly curable with treatment and likely fatal without it. Glad I'm not the judge in that case.

5. VolleyGirl

VolleyGirl Guest

I don't agree with what these parents are doing, but couldn't this turn into having a government official in every hospital supervising the decisions that parents make about the treatment of their kids? I'm playing devil's advocate, but who is to say the alternative treatments won't work at all?

6. seabee

seabee Guest

Good point Wayne..:jester::jester::jester:

7. All Children First

All Children First Well-Known Member

Despite what they claim now, I don't see how they can say it was a religious decision. He went through one round of chemo before they quit and looked for alternative medicines.

8. garnet

garnet Well-Known Member

I've read the comments on that article and while I didn't read the entire article itself (due to time restraints and I will read it in it's entirety in the afternoon) ... some are saying this 13 year old can't read. They are suggesting that these parents are even more than medically negligent.

If the parents wanted alternative treatment, they should have stuck to that from the get-go. I use alternative treatment for my Lyme Disease. I started with traditional treatment and it didn't work for me. If I had this same thing, I think that I would do both. the Chemo AND the alternative to give myself every chance to live.

I believe each person has a right to their own medical decision, but when this has been proven to be curable when caught and treated properly ... I don't see how they can NOT choose this treatment.

Got to run for now, but will read the article in it's entirety later. I bet there is a lot of info that wral left out.

9. Aglassnut

Aglassnut Well-Known Member

I believe that the parents are citing that they don't want to use the treatment due to religious beliefs. If that's the case, I don't see how someone can be forced to take the treatments, curable or not. There may be other factors, such as economic factors, but regardless, how the individual choses to treat their decease, is their choice.

Mike

10. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

From what I heard on the news it seems the mother and son have disappeared without having the X-ray. After the contempt of court, I expect any negative impact from this will result in the most serious charges which can be levied.

11. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/...ser_Colleen_Hauser_Missing_Cancer_May_19_2009

NEW ULM, Minn. - An arrest warrant has been issued for Colleen Hauser after her husband, Anthony, was the only family member to appear in Brown County court Tuesday.

Hauser said he last saw his wife and son, Daniel, Monday morning, when his wife told him she was going to leave and "That's all you need to know."

When and if they are found, Daniel will go to the custody of the state.

12. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

I really wish I knew what was going through the moms head. To run like this she really must think she is doing what is best for her son. Since he got one treatment already, something after that must have caused this reaction....

It is interesting how the mind works. How some people can see things so differently than others...

I was watching a documentary on cults and find it amazing how they can convince themselves that what these people say are true. One leader who claims to be God in Spirit says God told him he has to 'consummate' with all the woman in their group and the husbands are like "oh, ok".... He is now in jail because God also told him the teen girls had to 'come naked' before God, so they did... in his room! The teens were very open and honest and said they felt it was right and what God wanted!

So I really believe this mom THINKS she is doing what is right for her child. And has him convinced too.... sigh.

13. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Relevant to this topic.... Be informed and work now to protect your parental rights.
    http://www.parentalrights.org/

14. seabee

seabee Guest

15. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the Father now has cancer

Man whose son fled Minn. to avoid chemo has cancer
    By Associated Press

A Minnesota man whose son fled the state because his parents wanted to avoid court-ordered chemotherapy said Wednesday that he has cancer but isn't ruling out chemotherapy.

Anthony Hauser, 55, of Sleepy Eye, told reporters at his farm that he was diagnosed last month with a rare and aggressive form of leukemia. For now, he is treating the disease with blood transfusions and dietary therapies, similar to what he and his wife first wanted for their 14-year-old son, Daniel.

But Hauser said he isn't ruling out later chemotherapy or radiation.